Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Ever fallen out "forever"?

(47 Posts)
missjennipenni Thu 21-Aug-08 10:56:12

How many people have you ever fallen out with, and so far have never made amends or resumed any sort of relationship with?

Goober Thu 21-Aug-08 10:58:14

I fell out with my best friend from school 15 years ago. Haven't seen her since.

beanieb Thu 21-Aug-08 11:01:01

I have fallen out with a couple of people. Some of it my fault some of it theirs. I don't have abything to do with them because after months of trying I realised I didn't need them in my life.

WendyWeber Thu 21-Aug-08 11:01:19

2, in the sense of a positive decision not to make up with.

ranting Thu 21-Aug-08 11:05:10

Ummm, none really, I am very bad at holding grudges, I just can't do it. I say my piece, fume for a bit then I am done.

I'm terrible at remembering injustices aimed at me.

WendyWeber Thu 21-Aug-08 11:06:18

Mind you both mine live a looong way away. Would be harder if they were local.

cyteen Thu 21-Aug-08 11:06:48

No one really, apart from my grandad and that wasn't so much a falling-out as a clearly made decision on my part to have nothing more to do with him because he was a complete wanker.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Thu 21-Aug-08 11:07:34

Fell out with an ex and never had any contact again. I have never fallen out with a friend or family member.

bobsyouruncle Thu 21-Aug-08 11:08:12

2, my best pal at school and a friend at work. No regrets tbh!

Flightlite Thu 21-Aug-08 11:08:13

I got in touch with an ex boyfriend last year - we'd met up a couple of years before and even had a snog - but last time, he just said he didn't want to meet again sad

I was gutted - he was my first proper boyfriend, and meant a lot to me and I found I had sort of been relying on his approval in the background of my life, and felt really low when he took that way.

we broke up amicably in the first place.

I hope he is happy, I miss him.

Others - both dss' fathers. They kind of took off.

ranting Thu 21-Aug-08 11:08:53

I make an exception for my ex though, just because of the awful way he treats ds, but I can pass pleasantries with him for the sake of ds. It's highly unlikely that we will take tea together.

Freckle Thu 21-Aug-08 11:09:15

I fell out (can't remember why now) with a very good friend - we flat-shared and worked together too. I recently found her on Facebook and sent a nice message, but have had no response. So perhaps she still feels negatively towards me even after 25 years sad.

Lazarou Thu 21-Aug-08 11:09:49

A couple of friends, fil, and my sister has had nothing to do with us for three years. Oh, except to ask my parents to send her certificates from university. It's very hard, sometimes unbearable, but you have to get on with your life don't you.

PuppyMonkey Thu 21-Aug-08 11:09:53

I fell out with my best friend over something and nothing eight years ago.

We lost touch, then earlier this year I found her again through t'interweb thingy. I was all chuffed and got in contact etc thinking bygones would be bygones. She was very polite, but frosty. I've sent her several emails, but she's ignored me.

Kind of makes me want to cry. sad

SorenLorensen Thu 21-Aug-08 11:10:10

Also two. One was one of my best friends from secondary school - who had fallen out with everyone she knew (including family - didn't speak to her dad for about 10 years and also fell out with her sister on the eve of her wedding and refused to go - she was the chief bridesmaid!) but I had never thought I would get the same treatment. I did. To this day I don't know what I did to upset her.

And another was a friend I made at baby clinic after I had ds1 (when I was absolutely desperate for company and probably not too discerning). She turned out to be a raving loon - had screaming matches with random strangers who didn't hold doors open for her buggy etc. I do pick 'em...

Flamesparrow Thu 21-Aug-08 11:11:14

1 - friend from college, she kissed the ex I was still desperately in love with. We tolerated each other for the rest of the college year (she had a car). She felt that she was being unreasonably treated, I felt that there are some things you don't do - when you know your friend is still sobbing over the bloke, you leave him alone! Anyway, we now see each other occasionally as I have made friends again with an old mutual friend. Tis great fun, we go out and glare at each other across the table. The ex is there most of the time too. He finds it highly amusing hmm mainly because I get all competitive and enjoy it annoying her that I am closer (friend-wise, not physically) to him than she is even though she has been around him for the last decade, and I only met up again a few months agoblush

I cannot see us ever making amends. I don't want to be friends with people I can't trust not to stomp on my heart.

Another friend from college suddenly stopped talking to me when I met DH... no idea why.

ranting Thu 21-Aug-08 11:12:56

See I start out all huffy, thinking 'oh this time I will hold a grudge, I will'. Nope, can't do it.

mamalovesmojitos Thu 21-Aug-08 11:21:24

only one girl, i was good friends with her for years. don't speak to her anymore and am happier with her out of my life.

i dont hate her, and i want the best for her, but it was one of those toxic relationships. she went a bit weird.

Blackduck Thu 21-Aug-08 11:25:26

Not so much fallen out as drifted apart. Friend from school, only really had Xmas cards in last 15 years, and then I ralised she never asked how I was or what I was doing so I stopped sending cards, seemed pointless. At the mo am in the middle of losing a close friend (more to do with her dp than her), it hurts and I will miss her, but my life since ds is different...

cyteen Thu 21-Aug-08 11:26:03

Ooh, I've thought of someone who might count - the psychotic flatmate from first year of uni, who fell out with everyone, literally everyone she came across during her entire degree. I take no responsibility for that though as she was quite made. Last I heard of her, she was in a secure unit for attacking someone with a knife during a fullblown delusional episode

piratecat Thu 21-Aug-08 11:26:15

my best friend fell out with me about 12 yrs back, and to this day i still don't know why.

we were mates right thru college, lived together in London, went on loads of hols together.

I tried very hard to keep us together, but she just threw the towel in, and i never understodd. Very upsetting for a very long time.

I have seen her on facebook, but i wouldn't contact her. Too late, and too much has happened.

oh and there's a member of my family who hasn't spoken to my mum, or anyone for years.

very stubborn, it's sad.

cyteen Thu 21-Aug-08 11:26:36

Quite mad, in fact, not made blush

Flightlite Thu 21-Aug-08 12:50:34

I lost touch with my best friend from the sixth form. She was lovely, but we both ran into problems - I was anorexic, she had some bad experiences...
we didn't fall out exactly but I think my bad decisions (married lover, etc etc stupid things I did) kind of made her too frustrated to stay friends with me. I in turn felt miserable because she didn't approve - she was right of course sad

I miss her...she was called Vanessa if anyone knows her. She was very beautiful..

missjennipenni Thu 21-Aug-08 13:02:31

Ranting - Im the same! I fell out big time with my friend who ive been friends with for 20 years. I was so mad to start with, i was never going to talk to her again etc tec.

A few months later, she made a tentative attempt at communication with me, and i welcomed her back with open arms. Im so glad, because now we are great friends agian. A similar thing happened with another friend, after a drunken arguement, and we are also really good friends again. There is one friend though who i have never made it up with again, but thats mostly on her part. I wont ever make a first move, but i cant hold a grudge very long at all lol.

I have a cousin though who i will only ever be civil to. I swear she has narssistic persomnality disorder, nobody i know can stand her!

wotulookinat Thu 21-Aug-08 13:02:47

I fell out with a friend about 4 years ago. We met through work and became friends, although we only knew each other for a year when we fell out. It was because she bought a house and the previous owner had left it in a dirty state, especially the bathroom. She didn't drive so I offered to take her to the supermarket to get some cleaning products and help her sort the bathroom. And that was it, end of. Weirdo. Dirty weirdo!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now