Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

my sister has just lifted a weight off my mind... after 30 years <shock>

(8 Posts)
edam Wed 20-Aug-08 23:05:29

Isn't it amazing how what you remember from your childhood and what someone else remembers can be completely different?

Was nattering to my sister about dozens of things and ended up mentioning something we have never talked about since it happened. I have felt guilty for three decades over nicking some money from our mother when I was little (it was a very Big Deal when I was found out...).

Turns out, talking to little sister, that a. I was a lot younger than I thought I was (seven, not ten) b. actually she remembers very clearly that she was just as responsible as I was - we found the money together and apparently, she suggested taking it and egged me on when I was doubtful.

I still feel guilty, obviously, it was wrong and I knew it at the time. Have never mentioned it since as I've felt too bad about it. But amazing to discover it was not all my fault and she is at least jointly responsible.

We may have been thieving little so-and-sos but at least we are good sisters!

HumphreyCush1on Wed 20-Aug-08 23:07:53

smile
Did you give her a wedgie for letting you take the rap for the last 30 years? grin

cheesesarnie Wed 20-Aug-08 23:08:09

grin.its nice to remember things and share memories.

my sisters and i have completly different memorys of same things sometimes!

edam Wed 20-Aug-08 23:12:25

We were on the phone, have made a mental note about the wedgie for next time I see her, thanks. grin

cheese, your name always makes me smile. <<runs away fast before anyone claps me between two slices of bread>>

BoysAreLikeDogs Wed 20-Aug-08 23:12:34

Crikey, you have been carrying that around with you for all this time?

Awww

It would have been a Big Deal in my family too

edam Wed 20-Aug-08 23:15:30

Yeah, well, it all got a bit huge, because our parents were in the middle of separating. Our mother was so obsessed with how evil our father was, she thought he'd put us up to it. It was like that painting, 'And When Did You Last See Your Father'. Really, really, really scary, the biggest trouble I had ever been in. I was convinced I was truly wicked.

BoysAreLikeDogs Wed 20-Aug-08 23:16:23

Oh bless you edam

edam Wed 20-Aug-08 23:19:47

I'm a little bit cross with my mother, actually, thinking about me being only seven at the time. But hey ho, she was having a very hard time herself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now