Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How would i stand financially if i leave h?

(7 Posts)
mymittens Mon 11-Aug-08 09:35:51

I'm seriously considering leaving h - see my other post. How would i stand financially if i do? I've bee a sahm for 2.5 years and have never earned anywhere near what h earns. With his bonuses etc he earns nearly £70k. We have alot of equity in our house, proably about £180k. if i leave him, what happens with money - we have a joint account for everything atm

Tortington Mon 11-Aug-08 09:40:13

phone Shelter, they will be able to advise you on the legalities of who can stay in the house - i think the pat advice is that you can stay thee until your kids are 18 - and he has to pay the mortgage - but i am not sure if this is legally sound - they will be able to tell you.

as for claiming benefits - you can either go to CAB - which you should anyway - but have a look at
www.entitledto.com

please make sure you are aware of all joint debts that he might be paying, you may do well to start a folder with copies of old bills - so youhave account numbers and references etc.

Tortington Mon 11-Aug-08 09:40:52

0808 800 4444 - shelter

mymittens Mon 11-Aug-08 09:56:23

Thanks, just tried calling but lines are busy every time i call

Tortington Mon 11-Aug-08 10:00:37

its a very busy service - you can be on hold for a long time - worth the wait to get sound advice on where you stand legally.

beanieb Mon 11-Aug-08 10:05:49

So long as you are both on the mortgage you can sell the house and expect to see half the equity, or you could get him to buy you out but you would probably get less that way. If you divorce a judge may let you stay in the house until your children have left education.

beanieb Mon 11-Aug-08 10:53:51

some advice on divorce and property

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now