Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Men and women in holes - what do you think?

(11 Posts)
MeerkatsUnite Sun 13-Feb-05 20:07:46

I once was told this phrase/saying about men and women in relationship holes. Its one I have always remembered:-

"When men find themselves in a hole they dig their way out of it, when women find themselves in a hole they grow flowers in it".

I realise that this is pretty much generalised and it works both ways but feel it does have some truth to it.

Opinions welcomed

Twiglett Sun 13-Feb-05 20:09:17

I have no idea at all what the women part of that sentence is supposed to mean

Twiglett Sun 13-Feb-05 20:09:30

I consider myself quite bright too

NotQuiteCockney Sun 13-Feb-05 20:10:23

I think it means women will tolerate (or enjoy?) crappy relationships, while men won't?

I think both sexes put up with a lot of mistreatment, believing that nobody else will ever love them, etc.

oxocube Sun 13-Feb-05 20:14:00

Am guessing that it means that a woman will make the best of a bad situation/relationship (ie the flowers analogy - to make it more beautiful or welcoming and homely) whereas men will try to escape/deny asap!! Don't know how true that is though!

Twiglett Sun 13-Feb-05 20:15:28

nope doesn't work for me

I can see 'men digging their ways out of holes' meaning they like to solve problems or potentially they tend to escape

but women growing flowers ... there's some kind of beautifying / home-making process inferred there

it still makes no sense to me as a phrase

Twiglett Sun 13-Feb-05 20:17:05

I think maybe

"When men find themselves in a hold they dig their way out of it, when women find themselves in a hole they build tunnels to lots of other women's holes and chat about the mess the bloke made with all his digging dirt'

might work

Twiglett Sun 13-Feb-05 20:17:32

or they fill it with chardonnay and start swimming

oxocube Sun 13-Feb-05 20:21:42

Twiglett priceless!!!

sadder Sun 13-Feb-05 21:34:41

I dont think it is true.
In my experience when men are in a hole they don't even notice

WideWebWitch Sun 13-Feb-05 21:38:50

I like Twiglett's alternatives and don't think the original makes much sense tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now