Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Is it possible to make a new best friend at the tender age of 29 ?

(13 Posts)
Summerfruit Sat 09-Aug-08 14:09:13

I have met this lady, she's the mother of my dd's best friend..and we really like each other, I mean it's like I have known her all my life. We talk about everything, we have so much together..our husbands take the piss out of us because every week end we see each other, we go for coffe, wine...we call and text each other every day...do you think it's a summer romance or our friendship could last ? We are like 2 teenagers smile

fortyplus Sat 09-Aug-08 14:15:10

I think this is the opposite of how relationships with your existing friends can become tense if your children don't get on. Your DDs are best friends, you get on well together and have a lot in common, so your relationship is very easy.

Whether or not she ends up your 'best friend' for ever more is anybody's guess - just enjoy it for what it is. I have several very close female friends and it's great. I have others that have played a large part in my life at one stage or another but now I hardly see them. Just don't resent it if she doesn't want to spend as much time with you after the summer smile

WelliesAndPyjamas Sat 09-Aug-08 14:20:04

Of course you can make very good/best friends at 29. No age limit grin if you meet someone you really get on with. I met one of my best friends in my late twenties sometime. If anything, being a bit older makes you appreciate good people more.

paddingtonbear1 Sat 09-Aug-08 14:23:50

yes. I didn't meet my two closest friends until my late twenties. Now we all have kids, and go round each others houses for tea/gossip/wine, and the kids play together (mostly nicely!)

Anniegetyourgun Sat 09-Aug-08 14:31:07

As we don't always keep the best friends we make at school, most of us would be pretty lonely if we couldn't make friends in later life. We perhaps regard people as "best friends" too easily when we're young, and prefer not keep a cooler distance once we've been around the block and been hurt a few times, but true friendship, like true love, can strike at any time. Remember to put effort into maintaining your other relationships too though, of course.

girlnextdoor Sat 09-Aug-08 14:32:04

my mum has made anew best friend at almost 80- and she still has friends she made when she was 13.

Ripeberry Sat 09-Aug-08 14:32:57

You're very lucky. I found a great friend 4yrs ago at a mother and baby group.
We had both decided on that day to go to the group and we gelled instantly.
For the next 2 years we were very close in everyway and met each day if we could.
Then, she had to move away to France! and to say i was devasted was not the word.
We still keep in touch of course and try and visit at least twice a year, but it's just bad luck, i suppose that i found a great friend only for her to have to leave.
But next week, we are going to be staying with her for a week and i can't wait!
She was supposed to be moving back to the UK this year, but they have put it on hold sad.

girlnextdoor Sat 09-Aug-08 14:33:22

Hang on- just had a re-red- are you coyly saying you are in love with each other ? IS this not about friendship at all, but about something different?

KnickersOnMaHead Sat 09-Aug-08 19:39:25

Message withdrawn

turquoise Sat 09-Aug-08 19:43:41

You can meet a kindred spirit at any time - grab it and enjoy.

I have met two of my best friends since the age of 40, sadly lost one or two over the years. It's organic, just glad there have been new ones to fill the gaps.

filthymindedvixen Sat 09-Aug-08 19:47:52

I met my two closest friends in the world a mere 5 years ago. I have several old friends and many good friends but these two are my ''totally-be-myself-with-warts-and-all'' buddies. I was 33 when I met them.

Hope it works out for you, but don't give away all your secrets straightaway wink..

wotulookinat Sat 09-Aug-08 22:06:25

I can assure, it is a platonic friendship grin I met Knickers when I was 29 and we've been really close for nearly a year now. I think it can be better to make friends when you're older- you are settled and become friends with similar people.

SueMunch Wed 20-Aug-08 16:22:25

I have recently found that I tend to make a really good friend once every couple of years.

I think as you get older you tend to use your judgement more wisely and when you are sure about someone you become more open.

I have also come to view my schoolfriends differently - they were people who were thrown together in a situation, a bit like work colleagues.

I think people you meet in the outside world can be deeper friends, if you know what I mean?

Not sure of the romance thing! Unless you mean the excitement you get from someone new?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now