Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

I'm alone in the house

(11 Posts)
Anniegetyourgun Sat 09-Aug-08 12:39:02

... for the first time in nearly three weeks, and it's marvellous.

DS1 has gone out with future-DIL, DSs 2 to 4 inclusive have gone round to help XH tidy up his new house (he got it cheap because it had been trashed by the previous owner's tenant) and it's just me, the man-eating parakeet and my trusty Dell on the premises.

I could do some chores I suppose. Or I could just sit here surfing, playing Warcraft or whatever appeals. I may get dressed, or I may not. No-one will be begging for a turn on the PC, fighting with brothers, complaining of boredom, startling me with sudden shrieks of laughter or terror, playing music I don't like, arguing about who should make the toast, dropping things in the kitchen... No-one will be bringing me cups of tea either, or massaging my shoulders (DS3's speciality), but it's a small price to pay for an oasis of peace.

This is life as it ought to be. The last few chaotic years bring it home how nice it is sometimes just to be in your own space for a little while. By the time they return, late afternoon probably, I shall be refreshed and delighted to welcome them back.

(Sudden horrible superstitious feeling that by posting this I have more or less invited Fate to introduce a random car accident, meteor strike, alien abduction or what-have-you. However big they get, one never stops being an anxious mummy. Silly, innit?)

JuneBugJen Sat 09-Aug-08 12:41:45

Me too!!

Really miss sometimes being by myself until I am sick of being by myself (rather than only having 2 hour occasional snatches of time!)

Off to the new Bath Spa with a friend when she arrives and then perhaps fizz as dd and ds are at pil for night and dh gone to a wedding!
Hurrah

hk78 Sat 09-Aug-08 12:43:16

me too!

dh has taken the dc's out for the day

i am not dressed yet

i don't care grin

charliecat Sat 09-Aug-08 12:43:18

Oh lovely I had last weekend all to myself and the kids returning gave me a 2 day headache
Enjoy it

jura Sat 09-Aug-08 12:43:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JuneBugJen Sat 09-Aug-08 12:49:11

oh no, jura!

I would worry that new au pair would think I am slovenly and do lots of Important Looking Tasks. Don't you give into that feeling. Put on Murder She Wrote if you want and SLOB!

AuntieMaggie Sat 09-Aug-08 12:50:32

me too

not dressed - sat here with laptop and watching naff tv and i might do some housework, i might not....

JuneBugJen Sat 09-Aug-08 12:51:19

dont give in AM, dont go to the dark side!!

Anniegetyourgun Sat 09-Aug-08 13:11:02

I am actually going to hang up some washing in a while, so as not to waste valuable drying time. That should give my conscience something to digest while I go back to slacking.

So glad to hear I'm not the only slob relaxed woman around here!

AnAngelWithin Sat 09-Aug-08 13:16:04

first time in 3 weeks?!? I don't think i have been alone in the house for 9 years sad You lucky bugger!! envy

Anniegetyourgun Sat 09-Aug-08 13:34:48

Ah, AAW, I paid my dues when they were smaller. It's taken a lot of years to get to this point. The only reason I was alone in the house 3 weeks ago was because I'd just bought it, and only for a couple of hours as there was no furniture. Since then I've unwisely made the place so comfy they never want to leave. I've been thinking about hiring a crane to get DS2 out of my lovely squishy recliner "for mamas only". Now their mad dad has stolen my babies from me and I'm SO glad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now