Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Does anyone elses DH/DP not do anything apart from go to work and pay the bills?

(14 Posts)
LynetteScavo Thu 07-Aug-08 15:33:11

OK, he deals with the cars aswell, and mows the lawn, but that is it.

He does interact with the DC's; I could go away for a week, and trust that he could look after them with out me having to explain every little thing. But I don't think he would bother doing any thing if they got nits, or would ask if they had home work.

Is this normal?

I'm just a bit annoyed he hasn't given his cat eye drops, and I've just taken the cat back to the vet for a check up making excuses about the cat not co-operating.

katiepotatie Thu 07-Aug-08 15:37:06

Is it not just a man thing, sound like my DH, I blame his mum!

Fatbob Thu 07-Aug-08 15:38:33

at least he pays the bills, i do nothing about the house and leave the bills to the other half

elkiedee Thu 07-Aug-08 15:38:39

dp does lots of other stuff but he's not good at sorting out appointments, and I pay all the bills and ask him to give me money each month for his share of them including the mortgage.

CoteDAzur Thu 07-Aug-08 15:41:23

I agree, at least he pays the bills.

DH works & brings in the money. He doesn't pay bills, nor does he have any idea whatsoever about how much money we have and where.

LadyOfWaffle Thu 07-Aug-08 15:42:38

DH is a little like this, but then when I try and imagine the roles reversed I can see why TBH. He isn't one to think about shoes, clothes, haircuts, schools, nurseries but will do anything I ask. I know children are 50/50, but, I think it would be unreasonable of me to expect DH to put in 50% of all the sorting out etc. I even have to pester DH about worming etc. his dog, but as I said, if I worked full time I would expect (not in a bad way) DH to pretty much take over everything else. But it does get to me sometimes, makes me think he is bothered/intrested etc. but it's just because he works so hard. Am waffling again!

AnAngelWithin Thu 07-Aug-08 15:47:36

mine puts me to shame if i go out for the day!! however, he is crap at remembering dates/birthdays etc.

I am very lucky as my dh will do anything and everything.
I do ironing though. Im not saying I dont do anything but he only goes over me anyway.
His house clean is much more thorough than mine and to say I nagged for 3 years for a dog he even picks up the mess.

DwayneDibbley Thu 07-Aug-08 15:52:33

Message withdrawn

hifi Thu 07-Aug-08 16:15:26

my dh mows the garden, this will be relegated to a gardener from next month, out garden is the size of a postage stamp.

other than earn the money he does zilch, everything else is my job.he does hepl with dd though.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Thu 07-Aug-08 16:56:47

I see myself as the manager of the family. I think every family needs one. I do bills and organising stuff etc, DH usually does things when I ask but just will not think of things by himself. Two bosses would clash

slavemum Thu 07-Aug-08 17:29:15

My dh works, doesnt do anything in the house, goes in a huff if i ask him to even put a glass in the dishwasher, and moans when I tell him we have to budget money but wont take responsibility for any of the finances himself. He works mon- fri from around 8am-7pm, although he's a manager and can go in later & come home earlier if he wants. I work full time too, but do shifts, ie nights or weekends, and days if kids at school. If I work at the weekend i have to leave the kids clothes out for them in the morning, the breakfast bowls on the table and then phone at lunchtime to remind him to feed them. Blame it on his mother though; she almost had a heart attack the other day when I told her I got ds1 to help me wash the windows! (he's 8). "men shouldn't do housework!!"hmm
But he'd never cheat on me, is fantastic when it comes to 'fun' things with the kids, and tells me he loves me atleast twice a day. Doesn't totally excuse the lack of help, but goes a long way. smile

rubyloopy Thu 07-Aug-08 21:01:24

Message withdrawn

LynetteScavo Thu 07-Aug-08 21:19:40

I'm feeling a bit better having read this thread.

Fatbob - get off your bum!!!

Slavemum - I understand why you chose your name. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now