Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Should I go ahead with this, or not?

(17 Posts)
trefusis Sat 26-Jul-08 14:55:06

Message withdrawn

madamez Sat 26-Jul-08 14:59:37

YOu should take the work and go on the trip. Pandering to jealous nutters makes them worse and her looniness is her problem not yours. Be calm, polite etc but don't be drawn into long discussions about their relationship - the most you need to do would be to smile soppily each time you mentin your own DP's name.

trefusis Sat 26-Jul-08 15:09:33

Message withdrawn

trefusis Sat 26-Jul-08 23:04:18

Message withdrawn

plantsitter Sat 26-Jul-08 23:11:30

The only thing I can think of is going there when she will be around - but that'll mean outside office hours which might not be convenient for you. Madamez is right - loonies shouldn't be encouraged - but I don't envy you this situation. It's a difficult one.

ninah Sat 26-Jul-08 23:12:44

totally agree with madamez. Good luck!

plantsitter Sat 26-Jul-08 23:15:16

Sorry -realised that was a bit negative! The work seems a perfect solution and you should definitely go ahead. Good thing to think about strategies to make it easier for yourself though.

NotDoingTheHousework Sat 26-Jul-08 23:19:03

Message withdrawn

NotDoingTheHousework Sat 26-Jul-08 23:19:29

Message withdrawn

trefusis Sun 27-Jul-08 11:12:49

Message withdrawn

madamez Sun 27-Jul-08 22:34:31

Thing is, remember that (given you don't need the money that badly) you can walk away if it all goes code red. And you can do so graciously ('Dear sister, this is clearly upsetting you so let's stop it) - whereas if you walk away before it's even started you are kind of pandering to your sister's silliness and not actually giving her the chance to prove she can act like a sensible human being. Because it might all be OK.

themoon66 Sun 27-Jul-08 22:44:05

She sounds like a nutter (much like my own sister).

Take the job, but be prepared to walk away at the first sign of madness on her part. Your poor DH would end up being dragged into her delusions and that's not fair.

skidoodle Sun 27-Jul-08 23:19:49

I don't know.

Not giving in to crazy jealous people is all very well but putting yourself by choice into a situation where you are almost certain to run up against the crazy jealousy of your own (sibling's spouse shagging) sister just sounds too exhausting.

She's already asking you if you fancy her partner? It's just not going anywhere good is it? Even if she thinks right now that she's just establishing "the truth" beforehand, the fact that she'd ask that just shows there is not enough trust there for this to go smoothly. I'm just trying to imagine asking my sister that and it's just so preposterous.

It does sound quite a good opportunity though. Is there any way you could do it all via MSN and not be holed up with him at all? I know it's not ideal...

Yeah, think I'm with NDH. That conversation alone must have been excruciating enough...

trefusis Tue 29-Jul-08 19:20:03

Message withdrawn

skidoodle Tue 29-Jul-08 21:36:12

PMSL @ "I might fart a bit"

cocolepew Tue 29-Jul-08 21:44:51

lol @fart, make sure G knows you want an hourly rate for the reason that you might pull out. G might not want the job left half done. Good luck!

kitsmummy Tue 29-Jul-08 22:02:45

I know it's v unfair on you but I think that, given the history and your sister's questions, just steer clear. It sounds like you can almost guarantee that it will end in tears and possibly you losing a (fairly mad) sister

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now