Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

I know it's a Relationships thread, but AIBU to tell politely my sis to butt out?? Families, aarrgghh!!!

(5 Posts)
PhDlifeNeedsaNewLife Fri 25-Jul-08 11:53:07

Tone-of-voice check, please - is this a reasonable way of telling my (very kind, well-meaning) sister to stop interfering in relations between our other sister and our brother? And to stop involving me in her interfering? None of us live in same country, btw, except the two who aren't getting on (to put it mildly!)...

re. [other sis] and [brother] - I don't think there's anything you can do. They are adults and it's up to them to sort their own problems out. That includes their problems with each other as well as their individual problems.

If it makes you feel better to ask them about each other - even though neither one ever says anything positive about the other - then go for it, but I'd rather you left me out if it, thanks. They don't get on, so I can't see the point in either trying to get them to "help" each other, or listening to them snipe about each other. I think I support them best by taking each of them at face value, you know, just talking to them and encouraging them to focus on what is working in their own lives.

For what it's worth, I've been emailing with [bro] lately and he doesn't sound anything like what [sis] says. I can't help remembering that when we visited, [sis] complained to you, me and [my dh] about what a grumpy bitch I was, when neither [my dh] nor I thought I was grumpy at all, so I personally would take what she says about [bro] with a large grain of salt.

warthog Fri 25-Jul-08 11:55:54

hmm i would refuse to get drawn into a conversation about them. i'd change the topic, say i have to go, say that it's their decision but i'd refuse to discuss it. i think she'll get the message sharpish.

more Fri 25-Jul-08 11:59:32

Just say that you aren't interested in talking about them.
She sounds like a stirrer, and if she enjoys the drama of it all.

Baffy Fri 25-Jul-08 13:47:33

Sounds reasonable to me

If I were you I'd have your say and then point blank refuse to EVER discuss this again with her

beanieb Fri 25-Jul-08 14:18:51

Sounds reasonable to me too - the sort of blunt to the point stuff I might say to my sister.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now