Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

I want to find my dad but don't know where to start-any ideas?

(7 Posts)
jimblejambles Sun 20-Jul-08 19:48:51

My dad has never been part of my life since I was about 4 months old.
Recently I can not get him out of my mind and would like to find him- not to be part of his life but to see where I come from.
When I was younger I tried the salvation army with no luck.
I just don't know where to start and don't want to pay a fortune to someone if there is something I can do myself.
sorry if this is in the wrong topic

PaulineMole1 Sun 20-Jul-08 19:50:41

First try the free social networking sites like facebook myspace and friends reunited.
If you know roughly the area he is in you could try to see if he has a phinenumber on there.
good luck

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 20-Jul-08 20:14:41

I realise you have used them before without success but I would try using the Salvation Army's family tracing service again. They can reunite families. At the very least seek their advice on this matter before you start looking on Facebook and the like. You need impartial third party assistance.

Do any of your own family members know anything of his whereabouts or where he is living these days?. Is your Mother able to tell you any details?.

He may well have a new family now and that family unit may likely not know of your existance. It could also open up a can of worms if you were fortunate enough to find and contact him through a social networking site.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 20-Jul-08 20:23:53

This may also be a possibility for you.

jimblejambles Sun 20-Jul-08 20:28:55

My stepdad has died recently so I don't want to ask my mum too many questions.
I know his full name and where his family used to live.
I am very aware of the fact he may have kept me from his family and I certainly don't want to upset anyone.

girlandboy Sun 20-Jul-08 20:30:50

How about the electoral register?

citylover Mon 21-Jul-08 09:47:23

There is also or just google people tracer.

Coincidentally a friend has just asked me to help them look for their children, so your dad may well be interested in finding you.

I agree though with having an impartial third party to help you with it all. Tread with care.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: