Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

There is a chance...just a chance that dad may have to meet my new DP tonight. Wish me luck incase it happens!

(15 Posts)
Pinkchampagne Sat 19-Jul-08 20:15:06

My friend is having a 40th birthday party & she is a neighbour of my parents, so she has invited them to the party. They have another night out planned, but mum said they may pop in after if the party is still going on.
I will be at the party with my DP, who as you may know, my dad doesn't like hearing any mention of & has not yet met. We have been together 11 months, but dad feels his loyalty must remain with my ex.

Don't know if mum will get dad round, or even if he knows we will be there. Feeling very worried!

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sat 19-Jul-08 20:22:21

It's about time, and your dad needs to grow up. Sorry, not very helpful! Hope it goes ok...

Pinkchampagne Sat 19-Jul-08 20:22:24

Think mum wants this to happen. She is more on my side with all this now & thinks dad is too stuck in his ways.
I am worried he will be rude. My DP is lovely & it will upset me if dad is rude.

BetteNoire Sat 19-Jul-08 20:25:19

Have a good night, PC.
Don't spend the evening worrying.
Your father may surprise you by being civil.

hazygirl Sat 19-Jul-08 20:26:40

good luck pc ,hope ypur dad grows up and accepts your lovely manx

warthog Sat 19-Jul-08 20:35:28

all the best.

Freckle Sat 19-Jul-08 20:37:54

Hope he isn't rude, PC, but, remember that, if he is, he is only showing himself up, not your dp. As long as you and dp are happy and show a united front, there's not a lot your dad can do without appearing to be incredibly rude.

Pinkchampagne Sun 20-Jul-08 01:23:51

It didn't happen

Freckle Sun 20-Jul-08 09:48:01

Is that a relief or a pity because he's got to meet him at some point?

Pinkchampagne Sun 20-Jul-08 13:46:43

A bit of both, Freckle. I was nervous, but had got myself geared up for the possibility, and like you say, he has to meet him at some point.

Pinkchampagne Sun 20-Jul-08 13:47:46

They did apparently go round, but we had already left at that point, as had all the other guests.

more Sun 20-Jul-08 17:06:25

If it is that important for you that they meet why don't you just take him round to your parents house?

theSuburbanDryad Sun 20-Jul-08 17:12:13

IIRC, your dad won't have him round the house? Sorry to put words into your mouth PC.

It will happen soon - it's good that you got yourself into the mindset. Can you engineer a meeting - have a mutual friend hold a BBQ or something?

Freckle Sun 20-Jul-08 17:13:31

I think it would be easier on all parties if they were to meet for the first time on neutral territory. Taking dp to her dad's house puts dad in the more powerful position and, given his views on PC's new relationship, that's not desirable.

Pinkchampagne Mon 21-Jul-08 22:52:18

Saw mum today & it appears that there was no chance of dad meeting DP on Sat night as dad wouldn't go round to my friend's house. My mum tried to pop in, but dad wouldn't. Mum says he might take quite a while to come round as he is still concerned about offending ex H in anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now