Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What drives a man to splash loads of money on a woman?

(57 Posts)
abouteve Wed 09-Jul-08 22:09:32

Been pondering this recently. A couple of male friends of mine are in newish relationships after divorce. Both are very generous with their money. One buying his gf a car, semi supporting her, lots of lovely holidays etc. He's not wealthy and the money is running out. The other fully supporting his new love and splashing out on holidays, clothes everything. Fairly wealthy but cannot carry on like there is no tomorrow.

I'm very independent and cannot work out how the dynamics of these relationships work. Can anyone enlighten me?

prettyfly1 Wed 09-Jul-08 22:11:59

dunno but if there are any bachelors looking to do the same for a grumpy, overworked 26 year old can you send them my way grin.

I have no idea in all serious but i do wonder how the relationships will fare once the money runs out.

OverMyDeadBody Wed 09-Jul-08 22:12:23

Oooh I wish I could find myself in a relationship with a man like that! It must be such fun to have someone spoil you in that way!

It's just their way of showing their love and/or affection for their partner abouteve.

FAQ Wed 09-Jul-08 22:16:57

<<<<<<<<is rather enjoying being spoilt by her new man, he doesn't earn a lot (health care assistant), but has no mortgage (all paid off), but a lot of his spare cash is currently going on me>>>>>>>> grin

prettyfly1 Wed 09-Jul-08 22:17:48

[jealous].

prettyfly1 Wed 09-Jul-08 22:18:05

envy

UnquietDad Wed 09-Jul-08 22:21:37

Have you not worked it out?

Man gives the woman lots of money, cars and jewellery. She gives him lots of filthy sex.

The more money and gifts he gives, the filthier the sex he feels he can ask for.

Most rich guys are building up to a really fuck-off diamond ring, six-week holiday in Seychelles and top-of-range Zona, in return for which they will get a threesome with her and her fit best friend, and up the arse too.

abouteve Wed 09-Jul-08 22:22:15

I know what you mean about finding one. It's all alien to me. I will admit to accepting a gratis dinner now and again but that's about it. Not sure I would feel comfortable being a kept woman and having allsorts lavished on me. I've always paid my way. The said women are broke in their own right and their men will be if they don't see this and put the brakes on it.

Still its their business. It just smacks of a 'fool and his money'. Maybe I'm just jealous sad.

Mutt Wed 09-Jul-08 22:22:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PeaMcLean Wed 09-Jul-08 22:22:52

Hmm, yes, Big Man got to Provide for Little Woman.

Part of me would like to be on the receiving end of it and part of me thinks it's a bit weird. Do the women reciprocate in terms of generosity? Or do they sit there just accepting the gifts placed at their feet?

CountessDracula Wed 09-Jul-08 22:23:11

do you not remember the diamond ring in exchange for anal virginity hmm

I must confess I would feel a bit like a prozzer were it me

FAQ Wed 09-Jul-08 22:23:26

UQ - doesn't mean he'll get the filthy sex he asks for grin

UnquietDad Wed 09-Jul-08 22:23:41

mutt - pfffff, as if!

Litterbug Wed 09-Jul-08 22:23:54

I'd love a sugar Daddy grin

prettyfly1 Wed 09-Jul-08 22:24:16

lol unquiet. i was thinking that but refrained. grin

FabioTheWhisperingCat Wed 09-Jul-08 22:25:09

I think people who overspend like that do it so they can fool themselves they've got tons of cash.
It's all a a bit 'look at me, I'm filthy rich'

FluffyMummy123 Wed 09-Jul-08 22:25:43

Message withdrawn

FabioTheWhisperingCat Wed 09-Jul-08 22:25:46

splashing out on holidays and cars they can't afford, I mean, not the odd meal out.

ivykaty44 Wed 09-Jul-08 22:26:44

tell it like it is sad gits grin

UnquietDad Wed 09-Jul-08 22:26:48

Not unusual, is it?
mutatis mutandis (and adjusted for income) a lot of marriages seem to work the same way.
I'm reminded of an article from years ago by Jeanette Winterson about Le Creuset saucepans.

(cue madamez...? )

abouteve Wed 09-Jul-08 22:26:54

Unquietdad. The thing is I give all that and get f--k all out of it, too independent. Being a young women in the seventies has a lot to answer for.

One's and ex, (not exh), and he wants me back so she cannot be that good! He's not coming back when he's spent all that money on someone else. grin.

MrsThierryHenry Wed 09-Jul-08 22:27:43

Simple question. Simple answer: their loins.

(Okay, UD put it better)

CountessDracula Wed 09-Jul-08 22:27:45

By TillyScoutsmum on Thu 24-Apr-08 13:40:47
I actually knew someone once who got jewellery for sexual favours. She had a fantastic diamond eternity ring on and when I asked what is was for (i.e. birthday pressie etc), she told me it was because she let her dh take her anal virginity

A ring for a ring and all that

on this thread

Quattrocento Wed 09-Jul-08 22:27:50

<looks at DH, constitutionally incapable of opening his wallet?

I wish I knew ...

prettyfly1 Wed 09-Jul-08 22:28:01

was that secret code icod.

honest to god i feel a bit guilty if i dont pay for half of dinner. i would feel like a hooker if someone did that. All i need for really dirty sex is to be asked nicely grin.......only messing but i do think i am missing a trick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now