Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Beards and moustaches on men - yay or nay?

(37 Posts)
MrsThierryHenry Sun 08-Jun-08 12:00:34

There's a particularly fine selection of facial hair aficionados here. I can't quite decide which one I'm most in love with, so I'll take them all!

I really should be working. Please don't reply and I'll be able to get back to the hard graft.

MrsThierryHenry Sun 08-Jun-08 13:21:18

Alright, I've finished working now. So...facial hair - yay or nay?!

WigWamBam Sun 08-Jun-08 13:29:01

Dh used to have a neat little beard and moustache and I was most disappointed when he shaved it off. It was lovely and soft and I miss it still, ten years along the line.

I have to say, none of the pictures on your link do it for me in quite the same way as dh's used to ... can't quite put my finger on why wink

cornsilk Sun 08-Jun-08 13:32:16

A big nay from me.

brimfull Sun 08-Jun-08 13:32:41

all hideous

cyteen Sun 08-Jun-08 13:34:29

Hmmm, I have to take each case on its individual merits. DP looks hot with a light beard, for example, but I've rarely seen someone pull off the heavy-bearded Yorkshire Ripper look successfully. Moustaches are even more tricky; I thought I hated them without exception until a very ginger friend grew the most amazing horseshoe tache and looked totally brilliant with it.

Any facial hair with food in it = instant fail.

PuppyMonkey Sun 08-Jun-08 13:36:06

I like Eduardo from Mexico city best! grin

Nay nay nay, Mr Wilks

ratbunny Sun 08-Jun-08 18:54:59

I love the term 'freestyle moustache' - makes it seem like it ahs a life of it's own!
I must say, I do tend to like beards on men (as long as it is accompanied by tats and a general 'alternative' -ness). And I love the big mexican tashe's (for comedy value mostly, they arent really sexy).
Must say, those in the link arent quite what I'm after grin

expatinscotland Sun 08-Jun-08 18:55:42

yuk.

NO.

LullyOfShallot Sun 08-Jun-08 18:57:56

yuck

My father has grown both & looks like Bill Bryson

His lady friend keeps removing particles of food related items from the undergrowth

<shudder>

Barnical Sun 08-Jun-08 18:59:03

I'll go for a little bit of soft stubble. any more than that YUK!

VictorianSqualor Sun 08-Jun-08 19:06:36

Oh Gosh. No.
DP is trying to grow a goatiehmm
I told him the piece of advice I was once given
'Never trust a man who has facial hair or more than two dogs'.
I also told him I think men with facial hair look like tosspots (especially at his age - 23)
I shall let him know the outcome of this thread!

WideWebWitch Sun 08-Jun-08 19:07:07

Nay nay and thrice nay, REVOTLING imo

suedonim Sun 08-Jun-08 19:12:05

I don't like any of those on the link, although the laptop won't load them all. But dh often has a close-cropped beard, which I quite like. Tbh, I don't notice whether he has a beard or not. Sometimes it's been days after he's shaved it off and only when someone else has commented on it that it's registered with me. grin

RustyBear Sun 08-Jun-08 19:16:41

I like beards - DH shaves his off from time to time & I hate it - with it he looks like a cuddly bear, without it he looks like a pug (see bottom picture on my profile)

Denny185 Sun 08-Jun-08 19:22:08

Full facial grandad/father xmas type beard no def not (except on your grandad) however lighter goaty type that makes them look more rough and ready yep i'd go with that!

sexandthecitylover Sun 08-Jun-08 19:53:16

really love stubble and perhaps but not as much a close cut beard - think Carlos from Desperate Housewives

littlewoman Sun 08-Jun-08 20:55:03

depends on th bloke. You could stick barnacles on Johnny Depp and I'd still shag him rotten. don't care. It's not the hair, it's the person beneath wink

ranting Sun 08-Jun-08 21:04:02

I think it does depend on the man, dh looks lush with a beard (although on the all too rare occasions he grows one, he does meticulously trim it properly, so he doesn't look like DLT iyswim). I do think the Grizzly Adams look is a no no though.

shreksmissus Sun 08-Jun-08 21:10:42

Message withdrawn

cyteen Sun 08-Jun-08 21:13:12

Agreed ranting and lw. Justin Lee Collins, for example, would still be a hideous objectionable unfunny cockend even if he shaved off his beard.

Johnny Depp, on the other hand...mmmm. Mind you, I still had loin stirrings for Brad Pitt when he had his massive hermit's beard, so maybe I'm just sad and sexually frustrated.

maidamess Sun 08-Jun-08 21:17:36

I've got 2 words for you. Tom Selleck

MrsThierryHenry Sun 08-Jun-08 23:33:15

Rusty Bear! Your DH looks so gentle and sweet! How could you say such things!

Saw a really weird goatee today at the pool...the guy had slashed it so it formed little stripes going left to right across his chin. Huh????! hmm

ingles2 Sun 08-Jun-08 23:40:32

dh has some sort of growth most of the time... without he has no chin!

Mamazon Sun 08-Jun-08 23:46:01

facial hair is a no no.
it causes problems with fanjo regrowth....the velcro effect

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now