Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How to talk about sacking?

(7 Posts)
Zuberbuehler Tue 18-Jan-05 17:01:57

Help! I work in an office with a friend's dh: he's been sacked, fairly and squarely. How do I talk about this with my chum? Do I even mention it? Can't pretend it didn't happen! Don't want to rub her nose in it but equally can't lie and say I don't know the details.
(BTW it was for embezzlement but really they're downsizing and need someone out and it's cheaper than redundancy.)
Really panicking as am seeing her tomorrow. Any advice?

flashingnose Tue 18-Jan-05 17:04:15

- has he been framed?

Re your friend, I'd take your lead from her. No use trying to pretend it's not happening but you'll be able to tell pretty quickly if she wants to talk about it. The alternative ,of course, is she'll want to pump you for info which could be tricky...

Zuberbuehler Tue 18-Jan-05 19:13:29

No, not framed, he done it. Company couldn't keep him on even if they wanted to as everyone knew. Fairly small loss to them, but obviously had to do something. Problem is he's a bit of a jerk so no support for him really.
Terrified of being asked for details, he's bound not to have told her everything.

miranda2 Tue 18-Jan-05 19:18:09

Are you allowed to talk about it? When someone was sacked from my dh's office last year, they were all warned on pain of the sack themselves not to discuss it. You could always just say this and maybe add 'and since they are so fierce I'm just too scared to risk it, even with a good friend like you.'?

Zuberbuehler Tue 18-Jan-05 19:36:32

No, not supposed to discuss it but hard with a good friend!

sis Tue 18-Jan-05 20:30:02

Agree with Miranda - sweeten the pill, but stand your ground and say you just can't risk your job right now.

runtus Wed 19-Jan-05 10:45:56

Even though he won't have told her all the facts, if she is anything like me she will think something fishy is going on anyway.....you cant really get done for embezzlement without having something as evidence surelt? In which case, she will no doubt bring it up and ask you about it.

How good a friend is she? Would you want her to carry on living in ignorance or would it be better all round not to get involved? If you think anything good will come of it, answer her questions honestly (to the best of your knowledge) if not, I would stick to the stock answer of not allowed to talk about it.....

Tricky one though!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: