Advanced search

Visitation rights

(3 Posts)
PromiseRose Sat 31-Oct-20 10:15:28

So, my partner and I are having some major issues and it looks increasingly likely that we'll end up breaking up. His behaviour has been becoming increasingly emotionally abusive towards me. We have a baby together and I'm concerned that when we break up he'll have access without me present. I wouldn't be opposed to this with a normal break up but due to the emotional abuse I'm concerned he may bad mouth me to put child. Also he had not shown himself go be a responsible parent yet, letting me to 100% of the child care etc. Does anyone know what his rights are and if there's anything I can do to make sure his access is with me present only, at least until baby is a little older and not still breastfeeding. He's on the birth certificate but we're not married.

OP’s posts: |
Mamadothe Sun 01-Nov-20 08:10:31

Hi OP,

As your still breastfeeding, could you suggest to you ex that he sees baby at yours for time being? Has he mentioned what sort of contact he wants ?

Poppinjay Sun 01-Nov-20 08:30:43

The courts see this as the baby's right to have a relationship with their father.

Broadly speaking, the courts wouldn't order contact that disrupted breastfeeding but that won't last forever. In the longer term, you would be expected to facilitate contact at least every other weekend, half of school holidays and possible some midweek time too. A father usually has to be proven to be exceptionally abusive of the child or dangerous for courts not to order that.

The more you can be seen to be open to contact, the better in the court's eyes.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in