Talk

Advanced search

Do ‘Poor’ men have affairs and who’d want to have one with them?

(101 Posts)
OnMyWayToLivingMyBestLife Thu 29-Oct-20 18:14:42

IME it seems to be ‘rich’ men who cheat on their wives. They have money and spare time for extra ‘fun’ and seem to become more arrogant and entitled the better off they are. By rich, I mean well above average salary, senior jobs, or own businesses which require them to work late, business travel etc.

Do less well off men have affairs? I’ve not known any. Would a woman be attracted to an affair with someone on minimum wage who drives an old car and who was living month to month?

OP’s posts: |
Leafyhouse Thu 29-Oct-20 18:16:46

Well, if you've got the charm, you can do it whether you're rich or poor I reckon.

category12 Thu 29-Oct-20 18:17:34

Nah, your premise is buggered, sorry.

My ex never had a bean and cheated like no-one's business. Infidelity is for everybody.

Sorry to blow your women are only interested in men with money narrative. hmm

herecomestreble Thu 29-Oct-20 18:18:55

Mine cheated, I would class him as 'less well off'.

Titsinknicks Thu 29-Oct-20 18:20:15

Lol.

Funny.

unmarkedbythat Thu 29-Oct-20 18:20:20

Yes, of course 'poor' men have affairs and of course women are attracted to things other than financial wealth confused.

Pipapple Thu 29-Oct-20 18:20:49

My ex cheated and he was poor. Came as quite a surprise to OW though to find out she wouldn't be getting the lifestyle we had as I was the much higher earner.

ChaChaCha2012 Thu 29-Oct-20 18:20:52

Less well off people cheat, both men and women.

SpongeWorthy Thu 29-Oct-20 18:24:23

Do you genuinely believe women only shag men to get money from them...?

SandyY2K Thu 29-Oct-20 18:28:09

Yes they do. With poor women. Or they use their charm and get a rich woman.

If they are good looking, nice personality, good in bed and can say the right things...their quids in.

DrWAnkenstein Thu 29-Oct-20 18:29:01

I imagine if you are unemployed it lends the potential for a bit more time to shag around. And rich/poor is kind of relative, right?
hmm

DrWAnkenstein Thu 29-Oct-20 18:29:51

Have you read Lady Chatterley's Lover, OP?

Redtartanshoes Thu 29-Oct-20 18:30:24

I kinda of see what you are saying:

Generally...

“People” with more money have affairs... opportunities to be away, disposable income etc

Those with less money probably have more one night stands....

The above is based on nothing however

sunshineandshowers21 Thu 29-Oct-20 18:31:02

didn’t you ever watch jeremy kyle?! cheats galore on there - and pretty much all of them ‘poor.’

OnMyWayToLivingMyBestLife Thu 29-Oct-20 18:31:31

Not all Sponge. It’s more from the angle of power and wealth being more of an aphrodisiac than poverty I suppose. More money for personal grooming, expensive clothes/jewellery/aftershave, nice car, etc. It’s a package.

OP’s posts: |
Nailgirl Thu 29-Oct-20 18:32:45

I had a relationship where I was almost unwittingly the OW. He had debts up to his eyeballs -but he could drive a flash car and take me to New York.

MyLifeWTF Thu 29-Oct-20 18:36:25

My ex cheated and he wasnt exactly 'a catch' abusive, didnt really work, criminal activity not exactly a standard good looking guy. As much as some men cheat with younger, prettier looking girls there is also less well off and not so great looking girls that find themselves with a cheat.

My situation was that the girl he cheated with was on benefits, not a looker and went with him because it matched her lifestyle, so no cheating isn't just for the rich. The lack of a moral compass exists In a range of people.

Babdoc Thu 29-Oct-20 18:37:18

I’m fascinated by your criteria for deeming a man suitable affair material, OP. I imagine many women married to such wealthy arrogant types prefer to have an affair with the (much less wealthy) tennis coach or pool boy...! grin

MyLifeWTF Thu 29-Oct-20 18:37:55

Also adding that I think that was a bit of a way to do it for him, because I was always at work he chose to cheat with someone like that because she was easily accessible any time because neither of them done anything for a living.

SoulofanAggron Thu 29-Oct-20 18:38:54

@OnMyWayToLivingMyBestLife @DrWAnkenstein has a point. A 'bit of rough' can be attractive sometimes.

Also (I'm not saying all poor people are like this) there could be reasons a man is poor such as impulse control, substance abuse, personality issues that could lead them to be more likely to cheat. And I imagine they can often find a vulnerable woman with issues to get off with.

Meruem Thu 29-Oct-20 18:41:02

Sorry that's hilarious! The biggest cheaters I have known have been the unemployed (plenty of free time) criminals (yes women still love a bad boy) etc etc. Sorry but your theory is way off!

ReggaetonLente Thu 29-Oct-20 18:42:20

Did you never watch Jeremy Kyle?

Mummyoflittledragon Thu 29-Oct-20 18:42:28

Pipapple

My ex cheated and he was poor. Came as quite a surprise to OW though to find out she wouldn't be getting the lifestyle we had as I was the much higher earner.

Brilliant, classic! Love your style!

category12 Thu 29-Oct-20 18:44:33

I mean if you look disbelievingly at men having affairs when they're skint, what do you think is going on with the women they're married on in long relationships with? Surely it makes even less sense for women to marry these men, if you believe your horrible premise?

It makes more sense to shag a skint guy than it does to marry him. If money was the relevant thing.

Smallsteps88 Thu 29-Oct-20 18:46:07

What a stupid question.

People from all walks of life cheat and are attractive to others. How offensive to assume a poor man would have nothing attractive about him. Very clear to see what motivates you OP.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in