Splitting from husband - please somebody help who has been there finances.

(4 Posts)
pjsrock2020 Fri 11-Sep-20 17:22:22

I desperately want to split from husband, but am struggling to see how on Earth I can afford it. Tbh, I can't see how anybody can afford it. Because I am wanting to leave our home and there is equity in it, I have been told (by CAB) that I can only get UC for six months at their discretion while my house is being sold, which is obviously fair enough. The thing is though, I'm terrified I'll find somewhere to go, apply for UC to pay for housing benefit, then they'll turn it down for this reason. I don't know what to do.
I also can't afford to stay in my house because I couldn't afford to run it on my own.
I have three children.
Has anybody done this, and has it worked out ok please?

OP’s posts: |
ForgottenWhyImHere Fri 11-Sep-20 18:09:33

Can you afford a detailed consultation with someone? Wikivorce has a service where you pay £199 for a consultation with a solicitor, who then provides you with a written report of what they think a fair split of your assets would be. You will need to have a detailed list of expenses for you and your ex to get an accurate idea.

One word of warning, the man I spoke to during my initial phone call told me I would be likely to get X, Y and Z but that was based mainly on mine and X's earnings and length of marriage. The more detailed consultation with another solicitor revealed that a court would be unlikely to award me as much as originally suggested.

The point of all this is that a court will prioritise the needs of the children and want to see them adequately housed and provided for - so is it possible that your underestimating what you would get from the equity? Would maintenance from your ex allow you to manage to cover the costs of the house? If you haven't looked into these things then you should.

Lozzerbmc Sat 12-Sep-20 14:56:07

You need a solicitor to advise you. You would get maintenance for the children so can you agree to stay in house can you then manage with your own earnings as well while house sells?

MsKeats Sat 12-Sep-20 14:57:52

You need a solicitor not the CAB.

Mine took 2 years in court. To buy him out. 2 years .............he paid 1/2 the mortgage for that time -else I would have died.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in