Talk

Advanced search

How long do I wait to finish it?

(2 Posts)
Nocluejj Mon 31-Aug-20 15:37:53

This is going to sound incredibly selfish but my boyfriends father has just died and now I’m left in limbo as I was just about to finish with him

A little bit of background... we’ve been together about 18 months. We don’t live together and I was so into him at the beginning and he knew that and I felt like he strung me along abit. Promised me more for the future but never delivered. We’ve split up before. I broke it off and I went silent on him and he came running back pretty quickly. Since then I’ve taken a step back and been able to not be so OTT with my feelings for him. Anyway lockdown happens and I feel quite distant from him. We don’t see each other for a long time and communication ended up just via texts rather than calls. Fast forward to a few weeks ago and I was about to finish with him when he gets a call to say his dad his dying. Now over the last day or two he’s died. Now I’m in limbo as I can’t finish with him. I’ve tried to talk to him about his dad and be there but he’s very shut off so now I’m just left sending the odd text asking how he is. I do really love him but I know the relationship isn’t right as I want more than what he’s ever going to give me. I’m obviously and understandably the last things on his mind right now but how long do I wait? I feel sick to the stomach and anxious as I don’t want to finish it but I know it’s not right. But now clearly isn’t the right time. How long do I wait?

OP’s posts: |
Aquamarine1029 Mon 31-Aug-20 15:42:40

Honestly, I would do it now. He doesn't even seem that bothered about you, and my guess is that he really won't care that it's over. Send him a text, be polite, give condolences about the loss of his dad, wish him well and end it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in