Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone else find romantic movies depressing because you lack romance in your own life?

(4 Posts)
BayLeaves Sat 29-Aug-20 09:19:07

Just that. I find it so cringey and depressing whenever I see romance portrayed on films or TV because my marriage is totally devoid of that romance or attraction. I actually avoid watching romance films but often get the same depressing feeling watching any other genre of TV show or movie where there's chemistry and attraction between the characters.

OP’s posts: |
NotaCoolMum Sat 29-Aug-20 09:21:36

ABSOLUTELY been there!!! I used to feel jealous of the actors! My circumstances in life are different now so I don’t feel that way anymore BUT I totally get where you’re coming from!!

Pelleas Sat 29-Aug-20 09:31:01

Romance on films/TV bears little resemblance to real life. When something is scripted, of course both people can say or do exactly the right things, against exactly the right background, and be perfect for each other in every way.

Real life is much messier than that. The start of a relationship is usually fraught with uncertainty, a long-term relationship settles down but real-life is always there, you're not going to spend every night on a beach with your OH gazing at stars and whispering words of love, you're going to be doing the washing up or sorting out your car insurance or deciding whether you need to go shopping this weekend.

Keepithidden Sat 29-Aug-20 09:41:45

Yes, I don't watch TV or films with my spouse these days because it makes me feel so uncomfortable, unloved, unattractive and disappointed with the state of our relationship. I do miss TV sometimes, but you do what you do to cope.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in