Council assessment of domestic abuse

(6 Posts)
PaperDreamsHoney Thu 13-Aug-20 11:52:58

I'm going to be applying for council housing in another area under the rules about domestic abuse. I spoke to Women's Aid and they said the council will investigate to try and substantiate a claim of abuse to decide whether they have a duty to house me. Has anyone been through this kind of assessment? I don't know how much proof I'm likely to be able to offer since it's all coercive control.

OP’s posts: |
PaperDreamsHoney Fri 14-Aug-20 15:28:57

Bump. Anyone?

OP’s posts: |
DishingOutDone Sat 15-Aug-20 11:27:46

@PaperDreamsHoney could you ask for this to be moved to Relationships as it has much more traffic and women experiencing abuse tend to be on that topic rather I've found. Hope that helps good luck.

AnotherEmma Sat 15-Aug-20 11:50:41


A letter from Women's Aid (confirming you have been in contact with them and they have been supporting you) may well be sufficient. Otherwise if you have reported it to the police (even if there has been no prosecution or conviction) then some kind of evidence of that would be helpful.

This is a list of evidence that is accepted for legal aid - obviously the council requirements might be different but could be similar:

RivkaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 15-Aug-20 19:25:36

We are going to move this thread to Relationships for the OP now.

PaperDreamsHoney Sun 16-Aug-20 10:01:57

@AnotherEmma thank you, I've had a look at that and it does say a letter from somewhere like WA. Unfortunately the lady I spoke to said she writes letters for people but it often doesn't help much. I have a photo I took of a letter I found in which he admitted to having done something violent (though not towards me or kids).

Because it's mostly religion-based coercive control, I think it's going to be very hard to prove anything.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in