Advanced search

Just left partner

(4 Posts)
Tag1969 Sun 09-Aug-20 22:58:06

Just left my OH and took my 12 year old, our only child together.
For 2 weeks 12 year old has been splitting his time between the both of us. Come back to me tonight saying he wants to live with dad permanently - I don't want this. As parents we never married. Does father have equal rights to child? Can a child choose at the age of 12. Dad has a lovely big house n spare cash to spoil/bribe child with - I do not

OP’s posts: |
TeddyBeans Sun 09-Aug-20 23:01:24

I've been told that at age 12 a child could hire their own solicitor (don't quote me on how true that is) but their wishes would be taken into consideration if it went to court. If dad is on the birth certificate then he has all the same rights as you do

omg35 Sun 09-Aug-20 23:06:55

You both have equal rights and 12 is old enough to have their wishes taken into consideration.

millymollymoomoo Mon 10-Aug-20 09:39:45

You are both equal parents with equal rights, although the rights are actually afforded to the child
At 12 your child’s wishes and feelings would certainly be given serious weight although might not get his wish, if fir example there is some demonstrable reason why that’s not in his best interest

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in