Talk

Advanced search

Covid and dating

(8 Posts)
Anonanonon Sun 19-Jul-20 21:39:48

So, despite Boris proclaiming it'll (hopefully) be all over by Christmas, Chris Whitty has said social distancing will be needed "for a long time" - surely meaning into 2021?

Is it even worth dating? I'd thought to sit lockdown out as the thought of constantly having to stay 2m away from each other seemed a recipe for pouring cold water on any spark that might exist. IMO gradually increasing intimacy - from leaning in to talk, shuffling closer, to playful touches, cuddles and then the first kiss - is an integral part of the dating process. I just worry that fighting the urge will lead to killing the buzz and, before you know it, neither of you is "feeling it" anymore.

But now it seems we won't be able to be intimate with anyone outside our household/bubble for another 6 months if not longer. I'm not getting ay younger and, TBH, I'm not sure if I can bear it.

I guess it worked in Jane Austen's time.

Anyone else in a similar position?

OP’s posts: |
DropOfffArtiste Sun 19-Jul-20 21:43:02

Pretty sure not all single people will be celibate for a year.

fortunacookie Sun 19-Jul-20 21:49:41

I've been dating over a month now ...done all things you describe ....I'm still here

Life is too short and I'm living mine smile

Anonanonon Sun 19-Jul-20 21:50:44

Pretty sure not all single people will be celibate for a year.

Maybe not. But it sounds like Chris Whitty is giving us the heads-up that we should - and for a long time to come at that...

I get that many people will do a Dominic Cummings. However, even if I wanted to do so too, how do you know your date is similarly inclined? Going by polls, people still seem to support following the guidelines even if they're not particularly happy about doing so.

OP’s posts: |
Angelofdeath Sun 19-Jul-20 21:53:55

Yes. Me. It sucks.

Imagine we've had a few distanced dates, followed the rules, then after one particularly amazing date, he's leaning in for a first kiss, I'm feeling blissfully happy, then suddenly I remember that we are supposed to stay apart & start screaming at him to get away from me.

DropOfffArtiste Sun 19-Jul-20 22:05:03

If I meet someone I like and have chemistry with I'm not going to worry about it. Most people are meeting up with partners, you can stay over at someone's house etc. How is this any different?

DropOfffArtiste Sun 19-Jul-20 22:05:35

The two metre thing is guidance, not law.

DropOfffArtiste Sun 19-Jul-20 22:06:55

Presumably you talk to your date about it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in