Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

I'm going to rant, it's about my MIL...

(16 Posts)
margosbeenplayingwithmynoonoo Wed 26-Sep-07 22:16:02

We've just moved and are trying to decorate before we move furniture from storage. Dh has 10 days off. I'm trying to help as and when I can and we asked MIL to babysit dds while we decorate.

I was hardly able to do anything, I had to make tea, do lunch and wash up. She was even sitting in the kitchen with nothing to do while I was washing up.

I know, I know, I'm stupid because I didn't ask. I hate the fact I have to ask.

She is babysitting on Friday, so I'm going to have to pluck up the courage to ask her to make a cuppa every now and again.

Right, rant over. My mum and aunt have been wonderful with babysitting duties.

policywonk Wed 26-Sep-07 22:19:10

Can you get her to take them out somewhere? Have it all planned out, lunchboxes packed, nappy bag at the ready when she arrives? Don't give her a chance to argue?

margosbeenplayingwithmynoonoo Wed 26-Sep-07 22:21:13

No, She's arthritic. And there's a limit of what she could do. I know that she could wash up, make a cuppa and make lunch.

policywonk Wed 26-Sep-07 22:22:34

Ah.

(Sadly packs opinions back into her big box.)

LucyJones Wed 26-Sep-07 22:24:49

babysit dd's in the house that you are tryng to decorate?
doesn't sound the best plan really....
have you got anyone else who could help out?

JodieG1 Wed 26-Sep-07 22:26:15

Agree with LucyJones, it will be very difficult with the dc's in the house.

Gateau Wed 26-Sep-07 22:37:16

I know exactly how you feel margo. The day after I got out of hospital after my caesarean, my MIL came round, "apparently" to HELP to tidy the house before my Mum came to visit. She ended up lying with her legs up on the sofa cuddling the baby while I vacummed under her feet etc etc etc. Quite incredible - and maddening...... Errrrrrgh.

JodieG1 Wed 26-Sep-07 22:41:32

Gateau - you let her????!! shock I would have held onto baby and told her where the hoover was kept wink

Gateau Wed 26-Sep-07 22:49:34

I wouldn't usually be such a walkover but I wasn't really seeing things in the true light of day at the time. Call it the shock of birth. I seethed afterwards.

cheeset Wed 26-Sep-07 22:52:01

Yes this thread does sound incredible familiar to me!
I had the same after both my kids. With ds MIL would 'pop in' on her way into town, I'd look terrible c-sect, house a shit tip and MIL would say, 'you need to rest, housework can wait, it'll all be there tomorrow'angry
Course it would be there tomorrow, she'd have her cuppa and off she went!

Gateau Wed 26-Sep-07 22:53:54

At least your MIL recognoised the need for you to rest!!! But yes, still a crap attitude.

margosbeenplayingwithmynoonoo Wed 26-Sep-07 22:55:18

Sorry Policywonk, it's a very good idea. Don't be put off from giving advice, I did appreciate it.

Gateau shock

margosbeenplayingwithmynoonoo Wed 26-Sep-07 22:58:40

LucyJones, yes I have others who have been looking after dds. My Aunt has looked after them at her house for the previous 2 eveings and my mum looked after them this evening. We got loads done tonight. I agree, it's not the most practical solution. I can't think of any other solution when it come to my MIL looking after dds.

policywonk Wed 26-Sep-07 23:01:10

You like my opinions? I have others!

(chases margo down the street)

Lock her and the kids in a room 'accidentally' and say you've lost the key!

margosbeenplayingwithmynoonoo Wed 26-Sep-07 23:03:13

Now, I lurve that one!

Gateau Wed 26-Sep-07 23:03:43

margo, maybe she will soon ask herself why you are asking others to do the babysitting???! Or maybe she'll just take the huff. You can't win with MILs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now