Advanced search

Please advise, what else can I do?

(4 Posts)
Timetospare Sun 28-Jun-20 22:19:43

Someone I love very, very much has disclosed she has been the victim of emotional domestic violence throughout her entire 25 year marriage. She has young adult children who live at home with her not so ‘D’H.
She’s taken the very brave first step of telling those of us that love her what’s been going on, and I’ve suggested she talks to Refuge and CAB to understand her legal rights.
Money is tight, but their house is jointly owned and they are married.
I’ve given her a small gift of money, enough for fuel and a few days accommodation and she knows we will keep her safe if she needs to flee.
Please tell me what other advice I can give her.
I know the days around planning to leave are really dangerous. I’m so scared for her, her DC are awesome, and I am sure will try to keep her safe.

OP’s posts: |
user12699422578 Sun 28-Jun-20 22:22:50

Aquamarine1029 Sun 28-Jun-20 22:24:27

I would help her find a solicitor. She needs their counsel immediately to get her out of this marriage.

Timetospare Sun 28-Jun-20 22:34:29

Thank you both, I’ve had a very small amount of training in recognising DV via work, and that has helped, and the link makes a good point about making sure as her supporters we keep strong.
Does anyone know how much a basic legal consultation would cost?
Not sure I believe the MN myth of a free 30 mins consultation 😉

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in