Advanced search

Advice needed For my Mum!

(3 Posts)
Emily920 Thu 28-May-20 21:13:56

Hi Everyone,

Looking for some advice is possible.

My Mum has always suffered with her mental health and a few days ago she thought about taking her own life after a big argument with my dad and my brother. She went missing for the day and the police found her sat in her car with pills on her chair. It sounds terrible but today my dad told her he didn’t want to be with her anymore after 30 years of marriage. She is currently living with me right now and she is ok, she is strong and she is going to be ok. This has been a long time coming and I believe the relationship with my father is the reason she suffers so much with her mental health.

She is now in a position where she is looking for a house for herself and the dog. She wants to know what financial support she will get considering she is disabled and can’t work. I’m really unsure on what she might qualify for so I’m hoping someone can help?

Thank you all

OP’s posts: |
Helloagain20 Thu 28-May-20 21:32:16

Has she tryed putting her details into entitled to or turn 2us?
Does she get esa or pip? If not get started with the application ASAP as they back date till the day she rings up. Be aware these need lots of details about health etc she may need some professional help.
Also will she be entitled to universal credit? Housing benefit? Council tax reduction?

Fiveasidefootballfamily Fri 29-May-20 12:24:23

She needs to approach her local council’s homeless department to see if they can help and join the council’s waiting list. If she is over 60 or has a history of mental health issues that can be confirmed, she should be treated as a priority case and be entitled to help form the homeless team. This may be temporary accommodation initially unless she is ok to stay with you whilst they look for something more permanent for her.

Going through the homeless team generally means she will be housed quicker but they may expect her to take the next suitable property, just to make her aware. It might be that she doesn’t get much choice on specific area or type of type of property, as long as it is suitable on paper. Alternatively, she could try to put in a claim for benefits and see if she can find a private rented landlord that accept those on benefits.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in