Advanced search

Starting over - will I cope financially?

(10 Posts)
MaryST7 Sat 16-May-20 17:11:34

Again,thanks all above. Hoping to increase hours, as a TA I'm spoilt by not needing childcare do getting more hours in my current school or a new job in another school is definitely an aim. Would be so interested to hear from anyone else with a similar income/expenditure to me for some realistic and actual figures! I have never listed before - and while I'm not in the worst situation ever by s long chalk, I am still nervous and worried. I am surprised by the way people's comments make me feel supported and I am truly grateful!

OP’s posts: |
millymollymoomoo Sat 16-May-20 11:14:11

Increase your hours and include child maintenance and you should be fine

Reader1984 Sat 16-May-20 09:45:50

Could you try and increase your hours? Your son will be in school 30 hours a week so that extra 10 hours could be helpful financially? Even if it was working from home in some way?

dontdisturbmenow Sat 16-May-20 09:37:08

20 hours is very little when your child is 8 and as such, you won't have a lot. In 3 years time you'll be expected to look for ft work to receive benefits. What are your plans career wise?

MaryST7 Sat 16-May-20 09:26:15

@northnorth Thanks so much, really helpful to be given actual figures. I had used the calculator (thank you also @NoMoreDickheads) I was taken aback by how generous the amount was and was sure it must be wrong. But this is where my lack of experience (!) in these things shows - a friend pointed out it would need to cover bills, council tax, car insurance..... everything basically. This is going to be a steep learning curve!

OP’s posts: |
NoMoreDickheads Sat 16-May-20 00:41:33

You'll be fine. I think @northnorth probably sets it out well. There's a benefits calculator on the DWP website you could try. xxx

northnorth Sat 16-May-20 00:25:20

Hi @MaryST7

I didn’t want to read and run -

I am a single Mum to a 2 and 5 year old. I live in an area where rent is relatively low. I pay 550 for a two bed house.

I work 18 hours a week and earn just under a grand. I get child benefit and about 800 or so in universal credit (this is made up of housing allowance, single persons allowance and an amount for having two children). On top of that, I can claim 80% back off my childcare costs (it could be 85% but can’t remember at top of my head). I get a small amount of maintenance from my children’s Father.

Not all areas have universal credit yet- do you know if yours does? Will your ex pay maintenance towards your little one?

I think you’ll be okay, please try not to worry. I found it really daunting when I moved from my ex but everything has turned out okay xx

MaryST7 Fri 15-May-20 23:51:13

Thank you, that's very kind.

OP’s posts: |
Cambionome Fri 15-May-20 21:54:28

Sorry, I don't really have anything very helpful to say but just giving this a bump for you.

MaryST7 Fri 15-May-20 17:53:24

I have recently split with partner - luckily we are on fairly good terms.. We rent our current house. We have no savings. Both work, me p/t, him f/t. I am planning to rent a new home with our 8 year old son.
Used to not having a huge income but desperate to receive reassurance I'll be ok. Is anybody in a similar situation and if so, would they mind telling me exactly how much they receive in benefits?? I earn approx £650 a month (working 20 hours) and a 2 bedroom house in my area will be around £750/800 pcm. I don't need childcare (as I'm a TA) and can borrow deposit etc from parents. Just want to find out exactly what sort of financial help I can expect to get - at least until I find a better paid/ job/ more hours! I have tried the benefits calculator but it is s bit confusing! Thank you.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in