Advanced search

GP for domestic abuse

(13 Posts)
Sux2buthen Thu 07-May-20 13:08:18

Is it worthwhile to go to a gp to discuss verbal/ emotional abuse?
I'm seeing online mixed replies. If there are children in the home do they report to social services? The abuse is solely aimed at the woman not the children
The appt would be over the phone
I saw some people felt it was pointless but also some scared it would be passed on and was too much too soon.

OP’s posts: |
AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 07-May-20 13:15:32

You can try the GP by all means but I would certainly also use the resources posted at the top of this Relationships page on domestic violence

I would say however, that if the abuse is aimed at the mother the children will pick up on all the vibes both spoken and unspoken here and will be in turn affected by it. That person cannot fully protect the children here from the effects of them seeing the mother abused. Their house is not the sanctuary or even safe space it should be.

12345kbm Thu 07-May-20 13:22:31

Do you want to say a little more about what's going on OP and then perhaps you can be given more specific advice?

Windyatthebeach Thu 07-May-20 13:33:52

I would have it on record.. You may qualify for legal aid in the future should you need it..

lassesinglasses Thu 07-May-20 13:35:38

My GP surgery sent me this yesterday.

Sux2buthen Thu 07-May-20 13:37:27

I'm building up to leave. I've just had it

OP’s posts: |
lassesinglasses Thu 07-May-20 13:37:52

Don't know why that photo didn't workhmm

IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING DOMESTIC ABUSE HELP IS AVAILABLE. Don't delay in seeking help during the current coronavirus situation. Call the 24-hour Domestic Abuse Helpline in confidence on 0800 027 1234 or visit Domestic abuse is a crime. Call 101 to report it or 999 in an emergency."

12345kbm Thu 07-May-20 13:40:43

Why are you leaving? Have you discussed your options with anyone? Do you have anywhere to go? Would you be safe there?

It's better to contact your local domestic abuse service and discuss all this with them before you do anything.

If you jointly own your home then get legal advice first.

If he's threatening you or you are in danger (you'll know) then dial 101 and speak to the police.

HollowTalk Thu 07-May-20 13:40:51

Social services won't want to separate a domestic violence victim from her children. Are you the victim, OP?

Sux2buthen Thu 07-May-20 13:51:17

Yes it's me. It's really only sinking in now how things are. Sorry for brief replies I'm with everyone at home and it's tricky.
I have an appt with a gp but I don't see that she will be that helpful.
I'm trying to do this my way and the calmest way for my kids

OP’s posts: |
PumpkinP Thu 07-May-20 13:51:50

Social services will be informed I would imagine. They have a safeguarding duty. It doesn’t matter if the abuse isn’t aimed at the children, if the abuse is happening in a house with children then it is affecting them whether you believe it or not.

TokyoSushi Thu 07-May-20 13:53:55

If you already have an appointment with the GP then I think it's a good place to start. If nothing else, they'll be able to signpost you to the correct help.

I'm sorry that you're in this situation OP, I hope that you get sorted as soon as possible.

12345kbm Thu 07-May-20 14:16:20

OP download the Brightsky app. It has your local DV org there, useful phone numbers and info.

You can go to your local Boots and request the consultation room and you can make the calls there. Speaking to your GP is a good idea anyway for many reasons. You can make a call there as well if needed or she can refer you.

SS will not remove children from a loving survivor of domestic violence endeavouring to leave.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in