Talk

Advanced search

Snoring other half 😖

(20 Posts)
Maurice169 Thu 09-Apr-20 23:32:33

My partner of 22 years has been snoring loudly for the last 4 years. He wakes me up every single night and I end up crashing in my 4 year old sons room.
He said I’m making a fuss over it and I should just stay in the bed and put up with it like everybody else does?!

Do people really put up with this ??
It’s like sleeping with a flipping Wildebeest 😫

champagneandfromage50 Thu 09-Apr-20 23:42:25

my DH was like this and would get angry if I asked him to roll over as i was interfering with his sleep. I told him it wasnt acceptable that I had to suffer and he should do something about it. He told me my sleep issues were mine to resolve. He did nothing so i slept elsewhere most nights. Funny enough now that he has had awful insomnia during cancer treatment does he fully appreciate what broken sleep/lack of sleep is truly like and has apologised

champagneandfromage50 Thu 09-Apr-20 23:43:01

should add that my DH snoring was weight related,

InkogKneeToe Thu 09-Apr-20 23:57:18

Mine sounds like a congested warthog. It's definitely got worse recently. what's more annoying is that he falls asleep almost instantly so I don't even get a chance to. Twice this week I've slept on the sofa, he has once, and it's only Thursday!

It's so loud the bed reverberates. I honestly don't know how he doesn't wake himself up

Aquamarine1029 Fri 10-Apr-20 00:00:11

Your partner is an arsehole. Is he overweight?

mineofuselessinformation Fri 10-Apr-20 00:01:47

Have you recorded him and played it to him?
If you haven't, do.

mrsbyers Fri 10-Apr-20 00:06:14

Earplugs and separate rooms here , he even had his tonsils and ‘flappy bits’ at the back of his nose removed but didn’t work

psychedelephant Fri 10-Apr-20 00:07:00

My dh sleeps on a wedge pillow, which has helped a lot. Bought it for myself originally to help with back pain but couldn't get on with it. Wouldn't have believed it but it has resolved the snoring by about 80%.
Does your dh know snoring puts him at risk for very serious health problems?

vanillavelvet Fri 10-Apr-20 00:15:46

Separate rooms here too. It's the only way I get a good nights sleep.

Heartburn888 Fri 10-Apr-20 00:19:07

No point in recording and playing it to him. He sounds like he doesn’t care.

I agree separate rooms, you shouldnt have to put up with it. My ex was a really bad snorer and he had the same mentality as your p. He too would get cross if I dare ask him to turn over so he wasn’t snoring right in my ear.

Maurice169 Fri 10-Apr-20 01:24:52

Sounds like I’m not the only one! I have recorded it, he agrees it sounds bad.
I’ve tried every type of ear plug known to man, nothing blocks out the sound.
He’s recently lost quite a bit of weight, I was sure that was the problem; but no.

It’s more the point that he thinks I should just put up with it....like everyone else.

mrsbyers Fri 10-Apr-20 14:50:34

I use the industrial earplugs from eBay Moldex Spark Plugs Soft Foam Ear plugs 7800 SNR 35dB

WhotheWhat Fri 10-Apr-20 15:06:06

Boots Pharmaceuticals Muffle Wax Earplugs

The only thing that stopped my claw hammer fantasy becoming a reality

psychedelephant Fri 10-Apr-20 15:48:48

Though you've tried everything OP, for others who haven't, a second recommendation for Muffles (or any wax) earplugs. Foam earplugs hurt my ears and just aren't as effective.

I don't understand why this isn't more of a priority for snorers. My dh is a compassionate and proactive person and I'm not sure why he's so resistant to doing something about this. I suspect it's because he
1) doesn't want to make the time to see his GP,
2) will most likely be asked to lose weight to see if this is the cause and
3) isn't the one being kept awake every night so can't fully appreciate the affect this has on others.

ItchyScratch Fri 10-Apr-20 19:37:04

Mine does this too and this is what he says when I complain:

“Well I’m not doing it on purpose”

hmm

So I have now said he has to sort it out and until he does I won’t you-know-what

Specialized101 Fri 10-Apr-20 21:08:52

Had the same with gf,falls asleep instantly and sounds like the Space Shuttle about to launch,then would get annoyed once she realised I was sat up in bed on my phone as I couldn't possibly sleep,until I recorded her snoring and played it back to her.
She now has the soft nose-cage things that kinda work,I still need ear-plugs to drown out the slightly less noise that she makes.

letsdolunch321 Fri 10-Apr-20 21:24:37

@Maurice - I would be getting a single duvet and telling him the sofa is his new bed.

Luckily we have separate bedrooms here. It is not fair you should be expected to put up with it

TooDamnSarky Fri 10-Apr-20 21:24:53

I don't put up with it. I nudge him repeatedly and if it's persistent then he sleeps in the spare room.

goldpartyhat Sat 11-Apr-20 11:40:32

Try the old trick of a tennis ball sewn into the back of his top so that he can't sleep on his back. There are a few other things. Discover why he snores. Back sleeper? Blocked nose? Mouth open? Then look at remedies. Last resort is a spare bedroom if you have one.

Eckhart Sat 11-Apr-20 11:52:00

Play mynoise.net (it's a brilliant white noise app) Loudly enough to drown him out.

When he complains that it's deafening, tell him he's making a fuss, and that it's only as loud as his snoring.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »