Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Should I bow to down to his graciousness?

(11 Posts)
FairyOnTheChristmasTree Tue 11-Sep-07 17:27:34

I've posted this in chat but thought it might be more apt in here.

Well, i'm back! Didn't last long without you guys huh but i've had time to clear my mind. I've been trying to get along with my mum and her husband and things have been OK. My mum has even admitted she has been in the wrong at times and that she let me down. I'm off to work abroad in just over 2 weeks but until then I still have to put up with them.

I've been making dinner every night lately and made an effort to cook Albanian food for my mums DH as he says he dislikes everything else pretty much and anything I put before him to try he takes one bite and says he doesn't like it. Yes we are talking about a man who is almost 40 here. So these Albanian dishes I've cooked take ages to prepare, like 3 hours some days. I cooked one yesterday that took me all afternoon til 8pm! I'm not that good of a cook and didn't cook much til now so i'm feeling proud of myself.

I made a bit too much of last nights meal which was a bean stew thing so we agreed to have it again tonight. It goes really stodge when its left to cool but if u add water, which you've got to as it really is tough, its fine to cook the next day. Just like mushy peas!

I've done this a few times before (added the water) and my mum and he always ate it. So tonight it was what we planned for dinner but he says it will be awful. He insists it will taste horrid so my mum said I will cook him something else but he's eaten it before the next day with water in to make it stirrable and it tasted just the same as it did when you make it fresh. He was none the wiser the times i've done it before. Anyone else with an ounce of niceness would've kept their mouths shut. I guess what really pissed me off though is that he is always treated like this king. He says he doesn't like anything that is the supermarkets own brand so he has real coca cola, real brand everything which might not seem much but it's my mum who pays for everything coz he's still a jobless bum. Should I still cook the dish for him that I planned as I know he's had it before the next day or do as he wants and cook him something else?
28th September, roll on!
I'm sorry to anyone who is fed up of me going on about him but i'm having a real down day and keep crying.

hoolagirl123 Tue 11-Sep-07 17:34:10

He would be wearing it if that was my house.
And if he wanted to eat/drink brand names he would be buying them himself. angry

FairyOnTheChristmasTree Tue 11-Sep-07 17:36:20

Hollagirl thanks for your reply. I had a bit of a whinge to my mum for dissing my dinner when he went out the room and she just told me to be quiet before he heard and then walked away. He doesn't have money coz he can't claim benefits coz he came from outside the EU and he doesn't work.

OrmIrian Tue 11-Sep-07 17:38:14

He's sounds like an arse to me! Make him cook it himself angry

hoolagirl123 Tue 11-Sep-07 17:40:03

Is your mum scared from this guy or is this normal for her? Not being cheeky but it seems like hes taking the piss.

FairyOnTheChristmasTree Tue 11-Sep-07 17:40:16

I can't tell him that OrmIrian because it's not his culture to do anything like that, housework, childcare etc, the woman does everything and if I say anything my mum and I will row and we have started to get on this past week or so really well so I don't want to upset her.

peachypie Tue 11-Sep-07 17:41:06

Gosh how awful, you must must have the patience of an angel.
He doesnt sound very gratful for your efforts I have to say.
If it was me I wouldnt cook anymore for him. Let him do it himself, you have done enough.

FairyOnTheChristmasTree Tue 11-Sep-07 17:41:46

She says she does it because it's what women have to do in his culture but now we're over here I say and I am not married to the idiot. If I don't do it though my mum will have a go at me and I don't want to argue with her.

FairyOnTheChristmasTree Tue 11-Sep-07 17:42:36

If I don't do it my mum will and I don't want her to have to do it after she has been so busy all day.

OrmIrian Tue 11-Sep-07 17:43:17

AH. I thought it was probably as cultural thing. Amazing what people can get away with in the name of culture hmm

Poor you. I'd just grit my teeth and look forward to 28th muttering foul things under my breath.

FairyOnTheChristmasTree Tue 11-Sep-07 17:53:53

Heh heh, I do that all the time OrmIrian! Revenge is kinda sweet too. [Laughs evilly]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now