Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How would you feel if your mil started copying you & your mum

(7 Posts)
thegardener Mon 10-Sep-07 08:31:09

I find both pil difficult to get along with they are overbearing & controlling people. Now mil has started copying my style in glasses, wants to have the same hairstyle and has started to copy things my mum has - 3 piece suite etc.
I feel that it's too much, i know you should take people copying you as a compliment, but finding it difficult with mil.

How would you feel and what would you say or should i just carry on not saying anything?

VeronicaMars Mon 10-Sep-07 08:34:07

I wouldn't say anything, it'll cause an argument and you'll end up sounding petty even if it really annoys you.

Isababel Mon 10-Sep-07 08:34:42

I supose that as long as she doesn't throw my puppy from the balcony, I would feel flattered.

Having said that, I'm so fed up of my MIL that probably I just wouldn't.

Well, you may see it this way, it would take her years to get your style right, by then probably you would be into different things.

MamaG Mon 10-Sep-07 08:36:03

Don't say anything. Try to see it as flattery but I agree, it is annoying

ally90 Mon 10-Sep-07 10:32:05

I have v little contact with sil...but she still copies my hair do's...which just don't suit her wink. Been debating whether to dye some of my hair blue to see if she follows... grin

Each time you and your mother are around her...try to be outrageous in your choice of clothes and hair do's...see how far she will go

Personally, I have had friends who have also started copying everything I did...freaked me out. Think of the film 'single white female'. I never saw it as flattering...more like stalking behaviour...

Speccy Mon 10-Sep-07 10:39:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thegardener Mon 10-Sep-07 12:27:08

Thanks for your messages, to be honest i really wouldn't want to say anything that would cause any more friction, i can do without the stresswink Just really pleased to have got it off my chest and you guys have understood.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now