Talk

Advanced search

Relationship breakdown and traumatic birth - can it be related?

(7 Posts)
WTFKeee Tue 14-Jan-20 17:38:10

Does anyone know if there is any link between a traumatic birth and subsequent relationship break down? DC 2's birth was a really scary touch and go experience (we both nearly died) and my then H was there for all of it. We split up years ago, but are still friendly. He said in passing recently that he thought our relationship issues stem from the trauma he experienced when DC1 was born and that he thinks he had PTSD after. I don't doubt him, I know I had it! I just wondered tho if marital break down was generally considered a potential side effect of difficult births? I'd be interested to understand more about it if so.

flissity Tue 14-Jan-20 17:39:49

I listened to a podcast on bbc radio the other day about this exact topic.

How men are not encouraged to talk about the birth while women do. So it can causes depression and all sorts of things I’ll look for a link, see if I can find it.

flissity Tue 14-Jan-20 17:48:35

Could possibly be this - taken from bbc sounds app. So also on bbc website ... just not 100% sure xx

WTFKeee Tue 14-Jan-20 17:49:05

Thanks, I'll have a google too!

RLEOM Tue 14-Jan-20 18:34:16

Are you considering getting back with him, OP? And how old was DC 2 when you split up?
Births can be traumatic for all involved. He may have been grieving or suffer from PTSD. X

WTFKeee Tue 14-Jan-20 18:47:40

RLEOM - god no! DC was 12 when we split, but in hindsight things went wrong, subtly initially, years before then.

RLEOM Tue 14-Jan-20 21:41:31

@WTFKeee OK, I was just wondering how it came up in conversation.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »