Talk

Advanced search

Should I carry on?

(15 Posts)
Wildflowe Sun 01-Dec-19 21:59:52

I've been dating this really lovely guy for 2 and half months. We get on brilliantly and I brought up the subject of relationships last week to which he replied I just want to take things steady because other girls have changed 4-6 months in and become controlling.

I said I understood and are happy to take things slowly too with having to young kids but it's starting to give me anxiety.
Is this just an excuse? Surely someone would know by now if they wanted to be with me. I don't want to get my heartbroken again. Should I give him more time or say you need to give me an answer now as it's not fair keeping me in limbo? Xx

whiskersonkittenss Sun 01-Dec-19 22:02:55

I think he's given you his answer.

category12 Sun 01-Dec-19 22:06:06

What would your ideal look like at this stage?

Pipandmum Sun 01-Dec-19 22:09:29

Two and a half months and what exactly do you want? He seems perfectly sensible taking it slow and so should you.

Inebriati Sun 01-Dec-19 22:54:57

What does he mean when he says controlling? Does he mean actually controlling, or is he talking about things that are perfectly normal expectations when you are in a relationship?

CatAndHisKit Sun 01-Dec-19 23:39:43

2.5 months is really not enough to know whether you want to be with someone long-term! They knowthe fancy you, genreally like you but they don't you that well, and it's the lust-based 'honeymoon' period for at least 6 months!

rvby Sun 01-Dec-19 23:55:38

You are 2 months in. What "answer" do you want him to give you? What "limbo" are you in?

Ask yourself what you actually want, and then ask yourself why you want those things.

Pinkbonbon Mon 02-Dec-19 00:27:56

Run.

That comment about women being controlling is a massive red flag.
It is completely acceptable to broach the topic of whether or not you are official or at least, going that way after two and a half months dating.

He is basically saying to you 'stop asking me because it's controlling'. It isn't controlling to want to know where you stand. And the 4-6 months comment!? Yeah, that means 'I want to screw people for another 4 months, you better be cool with that'.

He is stringing you along. Ding dong ditch him.

GiveHerHellFromUs Mon 02-Dec-19 01:05:21

He doesn't want to be tied down

Chocmallows Mon 02-Dec-19 01:18:18

If he really liked you he would say "I really like you and I'm looking forward to getting to know you more" or similar, because he would not want to risk putting you off.

As it is, he is saying you are an option and he doesn't want to commit. You fit for now for some reason, possibly companionship, probably for regular sex.

He is not lying, at 4-6 months when you ask him again the reasonable question if he likes you, he will end it...as he will see this as you being 'needy' and controlling.

Opentooffers Mon 02-Dec-19 02:10:01

I'm balancing on this one. 2.5 months is early, I'm thinking that maybe as you have kids it's you that should take things slowly. You've not given full context about the relationship discussion and how either of you view what it means. Was this essentially a discussion about exclusivity? Is he being exclusive? If he is, but not yet sure about giving it a relationship title, you have more time. Has he met your kids yet? Do you behave like a couple yet?
Also, a bit odd his excuse, he could either genuinely have met some particularly controlling individuals and is cautious, or he has formed a belief that women are generally controlling which is a concern and shows a poor attitude to women generally, so beware of that. Given some time and thought, the answers will arrive I think.

cduffs Mon 02-Dec-19 02:22:10

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Wildflowe Mon 02-Dec-19 10:32:21

He said he's of course not seeing or dating or anyone else. He really likes me but wants to take it steady. What's the difference then I'm thinking? I wouldn't introduce him to the children until much further down the line. I'm 39 so really not been on the dating scene for many years so it's all fairly new to me x

Wildflowe Mon 02-Dec-19 10:34:48

When I asked about controlling he said ex girlfriends had changed and started telling him not to go out with his friends and how to spend his money

Chocmallows Tue 03-Dec-19 00:40:43

Doesn't sound likely, sounds like he has made up a load of bullsh1t to tell you not to expect anything from him.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »