Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

The practicalities of ending a marriage...

(7 Posts)
anchovies Mon 20-Aug-07 10:37:04

Just wondering if anyone can help.

My sister has contacted the CAB and Relate but a long wait for appointments and she needs some quick advice.

She has finally come to the decision that their marriage is over. She is however 4 months pregnant with their first child.

Her husband says he will not move out of their house and even if he does agree to it in the end she was wondering what will happen in terms of keeping their house (mortgage of ~£500 per month that she is not sure if she will be able to afford on her own) They also have some joint debts including 10k to our parents that they borrowed for the house deposit and don't have in writing at all. I have suggested family mediation as I thought that they might help but it is looking quite expensive.

Can anyone who has been here or knows about this sort of thing give her any advice. Obviously being pregnant as well she is finding this incredibly stressful and I'd like to help her in anyway that I can.

anchovies Mon 20-Aug-07 11:02:16


mrsmcv Mon 20-Aug-07 11:05:01

she could probably get a reasonably speedy appointment with solicitor to find out what her rights are, lots of places do first hour free so that might put her in the picture

littledetails Mon 20-Aug-07 11:10:55

Cant help with getting out the house, as mine left. If she is working she should get working family tax credit and maintenace when baby is born. I never knew about WFTC so I gave up our lovely family home and downsized, but I could have afforded it.

I feel sorry for people in this situation because my divorce was easy as he felt guilty.

It must be awful especially being pregnant, she needs to go and see a solicitor, I think they give 30mins free advice.

Good luck. X

anchovies Mon 20-Aug-07 11:33:05

Thanks to you both, I will find a solicitor for her that does a free initial appointment. If anyone else has any ideas I would appreciate them!

Fiona365 Thu 23-Aug-07 20:09:54

Hi there
only just seen this, so sorry if this is a little late.

I have the contact details of someone in Brackley, who I just spoke to, who does the first bit of advice for free, which certainly cleared a few things up for me.

Email me offline, if you want the contact:
fionahrichmond at hotmail dot co dot uk

good luck!

fedupwithironing Thu 23-Aug-07 20:44:18

what is WFTC please?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: