Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Nervous Ticks? should I mention it to him?

(7 Posts)
Anna1975 Sat 11-Aug-07 18:08:31

My partner seems to have a nervous "tick" of some sort, he's never mentioned it before but I'm noticing it more and more and wonder if I should ask him about it.

When he's walking every few steps he will lift his arm and touch his jeans pocket as if to feel it before putting his arm back down again. He does it very quickly but all the time inbeween every 4 steps or so.

Also when he's reading or watching TV he will nod his head fowards quite irratically but slightly (but enough to notice) and when he does this he blinks his eyes quite hard, my mum noticed this so I know its not just me.

I know its not really any of my business but I feel I should ask him about it, we've been together nearly 3 years now so you wouldve though he would have mentioned it by now?

UpsetWifeandOtherWoman Sat 11-Aug-07 18:15:00

He probably doesn't realise himself. We all have habits we fall into that we may not be aware of. I have a habit of opening my eyes really wide to make them feel like they are open if that makes sense. I didn't realise I did that til my husband told me.

UpsetWifeandOtherWoman Sat 11-Aug-07 18:15:51

Also if it is a nervous tick, he may not be able to change it anyway. It's just part of him, and so long as he is aware of it and it doesn't affect his health or drive him mad...

McEdam Sat 11-Aug-07 18:25:59

Agree he's probably not aware of his nervous tics. Unless it bothers you, I'd leave it alone.

eyesfront Sat 11-Aug-07 23:27:13

Check it's not getting worse - more frequent or more pronounced. If it is, I would mention it to him - he is probably unaware of it and would be embarrassed if it became so obvious that everyone noticed it.

nameforthebadstuff Sun 12-Aug-07 01:52:34

Actually, I would think he probably knows. I have tics, and have always been aware of them. I would HATE DH to mention it.

madamez Sun 12-Aug-07 02:00:49

There are various things this could be - one is low-level Touretts syndrome. Do you think it's getting worse or could it be that now you've noticed it, you're noticing it more? Some people are just fidgety. However, if it's radically more noticeable than before an if there are any other noticeable behaviour changes, then it might be a good idea to consult a GP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now