Talk

Advanced search

Help! Exdp renting out house whilst I'm still in it.

(231 Posts)
downbutnotout2018 Mon 29-Jul-19 17:24:24

I have split with ex but still having to live together. However he has stated letting out the loft room with Airbnb whilst we are still there. Not only is he keeping all the profits. This is also a massive safeguarding risk. He is inviting strangers into our home without my consent. The children are young and we don't have locks on the doors. I have contacted Airbnb but they are being very apathetic. The house is jointly owned by us as tennants in common.

downbutnotout2018 Mon 12-Aug-19 18:42:56

Have had legal advise and will be acting on it (won't go into details here). In the meantime he has had a bad review (hahah fucking karma) and I've convinced him to unlist it. I am utterly utterly shocked about how unsympathetic and useless Airbnb where about the whole situation though. They disgusted me with their negligence to be honest. I flagged up several issues with them but nothing was done over and over again. I would happily tell my tale anonymously to the press. I wouldn't want to be identified though, for the kids sakes.

giantnannyknickers Tue 13-Aug-19 12:14:48

@downbutnotout2018 I think you should go to the press if you can without revealing the who you are: it's a concerning update.

downbutnotout2018 Tue 13-Aug-19 12:40:01

Perhaps I will write to the guardian.

FrustratedC0ffeeDrinker Tue 13-Aug-19 14:39:20

If it hasn’t been suggested already, I would contact the Council’s Planning Enforcement department as the Air BnB use is likely to require planning permission. Also, possibly the Council’s Business Rates section.

Doidontimmm Wed 14-Aug-19 07:32:06

You don’t need planning permission for a home stay.

MyOtherProfile Wed 14-Aug-19 07:43:34

You really don't need planning permit for air BnB or else nobody would do it!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »