Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Should I be annoyed?

(23 Posts)
auntysocial Sun 29-Jul-07 22:28:02

Last weekend I got a letter inviting me to a job interview, it's a HUGE deal as its the start of my career and would be completely life changing.

My partner has not mentioned the interview at all since the day I opened the letter...it's tomorow and I was sat talking to him a few minutes ago and he never mentioned it once, I honestly think he's forgotten.

Should I be annoyed? (I am fuming!)

Wilkie Sun 29-Jul-07 22:28:34

It's a man thing but yes, I would be annoyed too.

elasticsortinghandstand Sun 29-Jul-07 22:28:53

defo man thing

Carmenere Sun 29-Jul-07 22:29:16

Nah don't waste your energy, just concentrate on getting the job.

greensleeves Sun 29-Jul-07 22:29:34

Yes, but you need to be telling him, not us!!

I don't mean that unkindly AT ALL - you should be telling us, because it's pissed you off and that's what we are here for - but partners can be surprisingly oblivious sometimes and need a kick up the proverbial

3Ddonut Sun 29-Jul-07 22:29:43

Has he realised how much of a big deal it is to you? Maybe he thinks that you're too nervous to talk about it?????

Why don't you ask him something specific about it, ask some advice....

madamez Sun 29-Jul-07 22:30:22

I'm bewildered. Is he refusing to talk about it if you bring the subject up? If not, and you want to talk about it, why not talk to him about it? I can't see why this would make you angry.

elasticsortinghandstand Sun 29-Jul-07 22:30:48

good luck anyway

auntysocial Sun 29-Jul-07 22:34:49

I said a few days ago "ask me some interview questions" in a lighthearted manner and he just replied "erm, I don't know any.." and then changed the subject and we've not spoken about it since. I'm just fed up of being with blokes that dont give a shit about me.

Wilkie Sun 29-Jul-07 22:38:24

How long have you been together?

auntysocial Sun 29-Jul-07 22:40:56

About 2 and a half years

Wilkie Sun 29-Jul-07 22:42:16

Does he realise how important it is to you??

Thinking about it more. It is really really shite of him.

Unless he is planning to surprise you with flowers or something as a 'good luck' tomorrow!??!?!

auntysocial Sun 29-Jul-07 22:47:24

he does know how important it is but I remember when I got the letter he wasn't too impressed that I would be earning more than him and Im thinking that's probably why he's not giving it any of his attention. He knows how nervous I am about it too.

skinnygirlNOT Sun 29-Jul-07 22:49:59

Good Luck Auntysocial!!

Wilkie Sun 29-Jul-07 22:51:03

He sounds like he is being very childish then but defo think you should be concentrating on the interview and just ignore his ridiculous attitude.

I wish you lots and lots of luck

auntysocial Sun 29-Jul-07 22:51:04

Thanks for the good luck messages!

auntysocial Sun 29-Jul-07 23:10:37

well he's just gone to bed and has made no mention of the interview at all. I know I shouldn't be wasting my time thinking about it but it would be so nice to have a man who genuinly cared for me enough just to wish me good luck at least.

I'm not going to mention it to him at all, even if I get it...he can work it out for himself when I suddenly become able to treat myself more often.

moondog Sun 29-Jul-07 23:17:08

Good luck.
Hope yuo get the job and then maybe rethink your boyfriend???

fairysnuff Sun 29-Jul-07 23:20:22

Oh dear
I would not be able to contain myself! I woudl be buzzing so much, he would have to become involved!!

It can't be healthy to keep things from him though? I think he ought to be more enthusiastic about you bettering yourself in any way you wish?

s'none of my business though, don't mean to offend.

edam Sun 29-Jul-07 23:22:25

Good luck for tomorrow! Ignore the grumpy so-and-so, go and impress them.

auntysocial Mon 30-Jul-07 16:26:35

I didn't get it and he hasn't even asked me how the interview went, still no mention of it at all. He must've forgotten.

I don't know whether to just not bother mentioning it to him or "thank him" for his concern. I'm inclined to go ape shit at him and call him lots of nasty names and point out to him that this is why I have doubts about our relationship lasting but I don't know if I can be arsed.

Scampynoodle Mon 30-Jul-07 17:40:01

I'd certainly tell him what I thought, especially now that the intervew is behind you and you won't ruin thigs on the job front by going bananas.

He sounds unbelievably unfeeling. Dear God, being in a relationship should mean that he wants you to do well.

Don't keep this from him. Just like you deserve a better job, you deserve to be treated better by your man too. Tell him how pissed off you are and make sure that he knows he's overstepped the line. If you're angry get that out too. Keeping it bottled up won't do you any favours and if your going for great jobs is what the future holds then you're ony ging to bang your head agaist this wall again in a few weeks/ months time if you don't resolve it now.

By the way, sorry that you didn't get the job but hang on in there! I always reckon that the interviews that don't yield results are just practice for the ones that do.

Sx

edam Mon 30-Jul-07 18:21:25

Sorry you didn't get the job, but don't let it put you off applying for other things. You got the interview, so congratulate yourself on that - there will have been loads of people who didn't get that far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now