Talk

Advanced search

Getting child maintenance if H self employed?

(4 Posts)
Rainbow03 Fri 12-Jul-19 13:46:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ElsieMc Fri 12-Jul-19 14:06:48

Absolutely. They use Tax Returns from HMRC to check income. My gs's dad has gone self employed within the same company and they told me that if tries to claim he earns loads less whilst doing the exact same job, it will go to the fraud team. There is a more polite name for the investigative team but this is what it amounts to.

Against it is the fact that they cannot take out a Deduction from Wages. But I personally found this was very hit and mess anyway and very slow.

He can pay you direct, but get them to calculate what he should pay based on wages and overnight stays. If he doesnt pay, then they move you to collect and pay. This is only helpful in that the CMS see if he fails to pay rather than you having to ring, tell them and they send out a 14 day letter. There are charges attached to collect and pay.

They can also access his bank account if he doesnt pay, but it failed in my case. The last thing they will do is court (liability order) and once they get this (he has to pay for) they can take his driving licence etc. Never seen it go this far with anyone I know though.

Don't mean to sound doom and gloom here. Please do ring them now and get the ball rolling. They are not good at all though op, but if it wasn't for them I would have received absolutely nothing.

That said, I am back receiving nothing again but I will give them a ring next week. They already know about it. The wheels move slowly. Good luck - the sooner you make a claim, they will backdate it to the date you called.

MonaChopsis Fri 12-Jul-19 14:31:52

You can, but it's tricky. My ex manipulates his income to be just below guidelines each year. Still £10p/w is better than nothing, so claim anyway.

JustmeandtheKIDS2 Sat 13-Jul-19 20:28:32

Sure can but there are so so many loop holes when someone's self employed. They now have a new tool where they can see what that person's earning real time as in right up to date. Also don't forget if he pays himself diverdens they are also seen as income. You have to ask them to check for diverdens though as it's not something they automatically check for.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »