Talk

Advanced search

I have got severe PTSD

(10 Posts)
BlobThursday Fri 12-Jul-19 11:26:29

Today is a struggle. Every day is a struggle. I find it incredibly difficult to get past the headfuck that my parents engraved me with. I wonder what will become of me? Even the best therapy doesn't seem enough. I wish I could meet someone who's had a start in life as bad as mine but who's come out the other side & managed to lift-off with great success. If I don't manage to pull something out of the hat, in a few years I'll be living on a park bench as all my assets will be gone.

FuriousVexation Fri 12-Jul-19 11:52:00

Sorry to hear you're so low today, OP.

What support are you currently receiving? EMDR therapy is apparently now the go-to solution for PTSD. It's available on the NHS but there is a long waiting list.

FuriousVexation Fri 12-Jul-19 12:26:13

Some DIY techniques that have helped me:
Put the image of the distressing scene on an imaginary TV in your head
Grab the imaginary remote and put the scene on mute
Then grab the remote again and just turn the TV off

(I'll admit this method worked better when we all had B&W tellies...)

Piggle23 Fri 12-Jul-19 15:20:53

I have it too op, the only thing that helped was cbt and mindfulness. I'm not cured but I manage it. I cannot change the past and there's no point trying to, I see myself as a work in progress and have learnt to ride the waves of my emotions. I feel for anyone dealing with it, one of the hardest things in my life I've dealt with.

Cornflakewizard Fri 12-Jul-19 17:55:36

EMDR therapy has helped me so much, have you been offered this ?

75Renarde Fri 12-Jul-19 19:05:36

OP. Feel for you. Can i share this with you today?

I have C-PTSD and PTSD from my parents and my ex. I've had 40 years of it. Rape, assaults, the works. Worst was the mind fucks

When you live with people who suffer from NPD, if you care for them in any way, they will distort your own sense of reality itself.

They do this via the manipulations and power plays. This is what distorts our reality and makes smear campaigns so effective. We percieve what we are told to percieve.

When our rose tinted spectacles are ripped off, it shatters the very fibre of our being. Finally, we have 'peaked behind the curtain.' No one is designed to take that it, no one except for the narcs.it blinds us and burns us.

Therefore PTSD is simply that; a physical and psychological reaction to reality itself as opposed to the lemon we were sold.

What people really need to keep in their minds is that about 17% of the developed population have NPD. A lot of what we percieve to be society is hidden. Under rage, trauma, pain, shame, guilt and suffering.

A diagnosis of PTSD is good. You're beginning to heal. You will heal once you wtsp your mind around it.

In the mean time, I suggest Prozac

And [hugs]

lasttimeround Fri 12-Jul-19 19:52:57

Have a read of 'The Body Keeps the Score' about how the body holds on to trauma and what you can do about it. Revelation for me. On top of a fair whack of counselling

75Renarde Fri 12-Jul-19 19:57:18

Indebted to you @lasttimeround

That looks a lot better than the unusually narc inspired rubbish I see.

Ozziewozzie Fri 12-Jul-19 19:57:31

Hi
I’ve recently finished therapy for ptsd. Like you my childhood was awful and this continued through my life.
I am now out the other side and so grateful. I had a superb therapist. I had tried others in the past and they were awful.
You have as much chance as I had to find your way through this. You can do it. You just need the right support. Don’t give up in therapy. I almost did. You need to like and respect the therapist and trust them.
I really hope you can find the support you need x

riotlady Fri 12-Jul-19 20:06:26

I’m sorry you’re struggling flowers I also had/have PTSD (it’s hard to say if you’re ever truly “cured” but I function well these days) and EMDR helped me enormously, as did support from an occupational therapist- so much so that I’m now training to be one!

It is possible to come out the other side, I’m very happy with life these days.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »