Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Showing no interest in important event, Jealous?

(2 Posts)
Holeyone Thu 26-Jul-07 20:28:22

Last saturday I got a letter inviting me to attend an interview for a job I believed I had no hope in hell of getting. If I did get it it would be the highest paid job I've ever had and the most professional...the interview is in front of a panel of 3 people which I have never had to experience before either.

So to say I'm nervous about it is an understatement.

Upon learning about this interview he expressed a "concern" that if I did get it I would be on more money than he is despite the fact that I would only be working 20 hours a week whilst he works almost 40, he thinks its unfair etc.

Anyway since that saturday he has not mentioned the interview once, if I mention it he shows no interest and the other night I asked him to ask me a few "interview style questions" and he said he didn't know any before changing the subject!!

I don't "go on" about it to him either, infact the only other time since the saturday that I've mentioned it was when I asked about the interview questions.

He knows how nervous I am about this yet he shows no interest at all, am I being unreasonable here?

catsmother Thu 26-Jul-07 21:12:56

No.

Diddums.

Why is it "unfair" you may earn more than him for 20 hours work compared to his 40 ? We don't live in a communist state and different skills pay different rates. Compare the earnings of a part time lawyer to a full time nurse. If he works hard then I can see he might feel a bit put out (we all know people who earn loads more than us for the same hours) but you haven't chosen this payscale to spite him have you ?

Looks like a typical case of male pride feeling hurt, but that's no excuse to take it out on you. Presumably, the extra money would benefit the family as a whole, so does it really matter who brings it in so long as each party is making a full and fair contribution to the household (financially and/or practically).

Maybe he'll start to take notice of your payrise when you spend it all on yourself ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now