Talk

Advanced search

Can he just take the kids? How does this work?

(7 Posts)
KavvLar Wed 12-Jun-19 21:38:38

Posting for a friend.

She was hospitalized for a few months with a mental breakdown. This was brought on in part by finding out her partner had been cheating. They have small kids together (under 9 yo).

During the hospitalization her partner (now ex) looked after the children. Social services were involved but didn't open a case, they were quite happy that the kids were being looked after and then they were to make their own arrangements between themselves.

He has moved their children out of their family house and into a new rented house, changed everything over to himself (benefits and doctors etc). He didn't tell her this.

He's also bringing in new girlfriends here and there which is upsetting them, he won't speak to her directly and she has to ask to see the kids via his parents. She's really distressed and the kids want to go home but he won't discuss it.

I've advised her to make initial contact via letter but what else should she do here? Surely he can't do this?

RandomMess Wed 12-Jun-19 21:44:03

She needs to go to mediation and then court. He needs to allow her contact as it's in the best interest of the DC to see their Mum. If he refuses then the courts will take a dim view of his behaviour...

Echobelly Wed 12-Jun-19 21:44:52

No, I am pretty sure he cannot just do that, it sounds downright abusive. I'm not sure who the best organisation is to talk to (maybe CAB in first instance) to find out best way to proceed, but I'm sure someone better informed will be along in a minute.

rwalker Wed 12-Jun-19 21:45:22

It's so difficult but TBH to get hospitalised she must be very ill and be surprise that she would be ready for kids full-time best to go via children's services.

category12 Wed 12-Jun-19 21:51:21

She needs legal advice and to get access sorted through the courts if needs be.

megletthesecond Wed 12-Jun-19 21:54:33

No wonder she had a breakdown. He's probably playing it like this to avoid maintenance.

She needs to see citizens advice and women's aid.

KavvLar Wed 12-Jun-19 21:58:25

I don't want to get too specific but she doesn't have any money for a lawyer. She's been very ill and is trying to get back on her feet but doesn't just want to leave it so this situation becomes the status quo. I'm trying to help her out and sign post her wherever I can.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »