Talk

Advanced search

I am Onit, hear me ROAR. Thread 5!

(390 Posts)
onitlikeacarbonnet Wed 27-Mar-19 12:36:32

“I am not afraid of the storms for I am learning to sail my ship” Louisa May Alcott.

I was looking for something to call this thread and came across this quote.
It’s not entirely true; yet, but almost 3 years and 5 threads later, I actually almost believe I can do this.

But I still like the last thread title as it still feels fitting.
I’ll save the LMA quote for the next one.

Here’s a link to the last thread.
Hope you all find me, my amazing friends star

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/relationships/3211292-I-am-onit-hear-me-ROAR-occasionally

OP’s posts: |
onitlikeacarbonnet Tue 13-Apr-21 14:42:29

I’m so pleased for you @redastherose. I had the finances settled pretty quick and bound in our minute of agreement. Not that he’s stuck to it. Stopped paying for uniforms when he found out I’d made a claim for a clothing grant (which I only did when the school told me I might be eligible and meant I could buy a couple of school sweatshirts and decent winter coats which he refused to help with because they’d be worn outside school therefore not part of his obligation), and over time stopped every activity he’d committed to paying for. He ended up going to the CMS himself when I inquired if the dc might be due a bit more as he’d been paying the same for the last 3 years and, as a civil servant who’d recently been promoted. He told me he’d calculated he’d been overpaying by £100+ a month and would cut his payments accordingly. I think he thought he was calling my bluff when he applied to them but he ended up paying £20 a month more. Shame.
The fact he reneged on a legal document that he signed shouldn’t have been a shock really but since the divorce is also included in the same document, I’m not holding my breath he’ll follow through with the divorce anytime soon.

redastherose Tue 13-Apr-21 11:19:13

My Divorce came through last June and we'd been separated for more than 4 years by that time. The financial settlement was only agreed in February this year and I had to take it al the way to the court for him to finally settle. He'd been hiding finances then disputing values which was why it took so very long. I'm so glad I no longer have to have anything much to do with him. Like you I had anxiety attacks every time I got a message so the relief from having little contact has been amazing.

onitlikeacarbonnet Tue 13-Apr-21 00:04:24

@redastherose congratulations on your divorce (if that’s the correct way to say it). How long ago did you split?
I’ve been told no sheriff will grant a divorce while contact is still in dispute so I presume my youngest will be a similar age to yours when it happens.

Karma is so slow in coming. I’m not sure I believe in it anymore. I’ve given up waiting for it as it only ever made me angry and/or upset and I try not to give him any emotional currency if I can help it.

redastherose Mon 12-Apr-21 22:46:04

@onitlikeacarbonnet lovely to hear your update. I've followed along through you thread over the years and I'm glad things are easing for you. As the DC get older it does get better. My youngest is now almost 17 and hardly has any interaction with EXH and the eldest went NC 4 years ago. Karma does get these dickheads eventually. Also, I finally managed to finalise my Divorce and the financial stuff in the last 9 months so it's all good baring a few practical transfers of ownership.

onitlikeacarbonnet Mon 12-Apr-21 13:39:12

Hi @SunshineCake and anyone else who’s still around.

I had thought about updating a few times over the last few months. Mentally I’m still very up and down. I’m on my way up just now so feeling more able to do that.
I’ve had a few run ins with the asshat, the worst of which was his refusal to allow the dc home a couple of hours early on Mother’s Day. Payback for Boxing Day I think but all he did was hurt the dc. The bf helped rescue it for them by suggesting to DD that they could bring me breakfast in bed on the Friday before. They’d already ordered me a present after they came home from their dads the previous weekend and he’d not taken them or ordered something and they asked if they could do it at home. It didn’t matter that I paid for it myself because they picked something perfect and it was a lovely surprise on the Friday morning.

They spent the last few days at their dads for the east hols and came home last night. DS is already at his friends. He’s feeling more and more isolated when he goes to his dads. He’s 11 (12 before Christmas) and off to high school this year. He knows he’ll have more autonomy soon and I think the first time he says he’s not going on a Friday night, DD will have her say too. She’ll be 10 this summer and is much more forthright than DS (or me).

Single parenthood does sometimes feel like a hamster wheel and the relentlessness is exhausting but I’m trying hard to drop the guilt when I’m just not able to do more than keep us fed and clothed and recognise that it’s ok to use a couple of childfree days to binge Netflix. It also makes me much more able to tackle the other stuff when the mood or energy kicks in.

I’ve said it many times over the course of it all that I wouldn’t be where I am without the shared experience and advice on here. But it’s so true. When I read posts from others who are finding themselves at the bottom of the pit I was in, I want to try to make them see how they will survive and thrive, in time, the way so many told me when I was drowning in grief and pain. I hope to be able to find a way to do that. And by doing that, thank every single person who offered me that when I couldn’t see the way out.
Thank you thank you thank you

SunshineCake Fri 09-Apr-21 13:31:05

I was thinking of you today @onitlikeacarbonnet. How are you ?

KeziaOAP Fri 25-Dec-20 08:48:43

Onit Merry Christmas

LarsErickssong Fri 25-Dec-20 08:07:17

Wishing you a very merry Christmas Onit fsmile

maras2 Fri 25-Dec-20 02:28:55

To you too onit. fsmile
KOKO
Best wishes from family Maras. cake wine

onitlikeacarbonnet Fri 25-Dec-20 00:33:24

Merry Christmas fsmile

Mygirlsareeverything Thu 24-Dec-20 23:31:35

Just wanted to say that I really hope you enjoy your Christmas Day @onitlikeacarbonnet

paniquer Wed 23-Dec-20 20:03:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Aaahhhbump Wed 23-Dec-20 20:02:42

Can you copy and paste, your messages from here, into your online calendar for the 1st December for next year.

SunshineCake Wed 23-Dec-20 19:16:18

I'm not surprised he's still a shit but so sad you are still being too reasonable with him.

Mix56 Tue 22-Dec-20 07:52:53

fairy = family.... auto correct heaven !

Mix56 Tue 22-Dec-20 07:49:12

Bravo, Well played Onit. You are certainly stronger than in the early days.
He is a champion at splitting hairs to get his way,
"Denying them a fairy Xmas ?"...... What about your family Xmas? Tosser
God I hate him

onitlikeacarbonnet Mon 21-Dec-20 23:39:46

Like herpes.

Which I can attest too because he gave me herpes.

Doidontimmm Mon 21-Dec-20 17:06:39

He really is the gift that keeps on giving!!

onitlikeacarbonnet Mon 21-Dec-20 15:58:28

My bookmark didn’t work trying to post an update and, while I was scrolling, I re-read a bit regarding last years discussions about Christmas.
I wish I’d looked at it in November which you’ll appreciate after I catch you up.

Too many ridiculous accusations to count including, but not restricted to, my using the dc as messengers, denying them a family Christmas, and refusing him parental access.
He retaliated with what I perceived as a threat.
Be advised that until arrangements are made for Boxing Day, nothing else is confirmed. Prior suggested dates (which he’d agreed to cover whilst I was working) can’t be finalised until this matter is also accounted for.

I called his bluff by asking him outright if he was refusing to provide childcare while I was working.

He replied saying he didn’t provide childcare.

I clarified that his previous Boxing Day contact was based on the fact I was working. And that, as I wasn’t contracted to work, and it was my weekend, I wasn’t denying him anything.
Then I asked again if he was reneging in his previous agreement to cover my shifts and, if so, could he reply ASAP so I could put my alternative childcare in place.

Asshole replied...
“However, you have left me in a position where you are saying that rather than allowing us our family Christmas, you would seek out childcare, resulting in them losing other holiday time here and increasing our covid risk. I just can't do that, so I therefore confirm that I will accept the holiday contact previously set out,”.

Successful bluff calling on my part but he’d also chucked another threat into the mix by saying if I couldn’t understand the basics of what “agreement” means, then “we will clearly need court assistance again.
Threat number 2.

I responded thanking him for reconfirming the childcare arrangements.
I said his comments had been noted but he’d said nothing that he hadn’t already said and that it didn’t change the fact that Christmas falls in my weekend as new year falls on his.

That was send on Sunday morning and I’ve had no reply as yet. I’ll bet money on it coming as soon as the dc are in bed at his tomorrow night when I won’t see them till Christmas Eve.

I’m so glad the bf was here. He’s excellent at discarding all the bullshit and he can help me remove the emotional content of my replies and stick to the facts.

Once I’d got past the threat to withdraw care on my working days, essentially threatening my job and mine and the dcs livelihood, he did say I wouldn’t have to worry about him threatening me next year. When I asked him why he said “because I’ll kill him before then” grin

I fucking love Christmas. Not.

ThePluckOfTheCoward Mon 14-Dec-20 16:23:46

Really nice to hear from you Onit. I have thought about you often during this year and wondered how you and the children were coping. I'm sorry your health hasn't been too good. Are you still seeing a therapist for your mental health? I see your ex is still being an entitled arse, no surprise there. I am guessing the children must be getting near the age when they can legally refuse to visit or stay overnight if they want to, although, of course, they may be afraid of hurting his feelings.

So glad you are off for 4 days over Christmas, I bet you can't wait.

Mix56 Mon 14-Dec-20 15:57:59

If I remember correctly, he has had them over Xmas every year since he left you due to your work commitments
I would reply "my turn Buddy " Fuck you.

onitlikeacarbonnet Mon 14-Dec-20 14:58:51

I know my mistake was offering him the time in the first place.
I’ll learn eventually 🙈

onitlikeacarbonnet Mon 14-Dec-20 14:55:50

Hello
Sorry I’ve been absent. Such a lot going on. Most of it difficult as my mental health isn’t great. And just gone back to work after injuring my back in October. Like most people I’m missing human contact. The dc are ok. Dd is such a confident girl (except during the night when at least 3/7 nights she hops into bed with me), but she doesn’t bottle stuff up. She can be a drama queen but at least I know what’s bothering her.
Dd is mostly ok but struggling with no seeing his friends. The ones he doesn’t go to school with. He’s much more likely to bottle it all up then have an almighty meltdown. It always takes lots of cajoling and gentle probing to find out what’s troubling him.

I had my first wobble in a while sending the asshat an email this morning regarding Christmas
For info, I’m off Christmas Day, Boxing Day, 27th and 28th.
I had offered him a few hours on Boxing Day (10am-6pm) even though it would mean my giving up my Saturday with the dc.
His reply was typical. He thinks he should have the whole day and overnight.
Bearing in mind these 4 days are the only time during the break where I have more than 1 full day off. He already has Tuesday to Thursday both weeks as well as the weekends at either end of the holiday too. So he has 11 days to my 6 anyway.

I’m justifying to you guys (I don’t to him anymore) but when he replied I just thought fuck you. I’m offering to sit at home alone while you play happy families. And the dc don’t want to go. They want to stay with me. I didn’t tell him that. The dc don’t want him to know they said it.
The email I sent this morning confirmed the 2 midweek visits and I said we’d just stick to the established weekends.
He’s just replied that I didn’t mention it so can I confirm he’s getting the dc at 10am on BD till 10am on 27th.

I’m not negotiating. He can swivel. Talk about giving an inch and taking a mile.

Anyway, sorry about the rambling. Just wanted to check in and say I’m still alive and surviving. Hope you all are too fsmile

SunshineCake Mon 30-Nov-20 19:56:17

I was looking for your thread @onitlikeacarbonnet and hoped there would be a post from you. I hope you are well, onit.

RoxiFruitcake Mon 30-Nov-20 15:59:59

Hi Onit another one here who has been thinking of you. Followed you from the start of your journey all the ups and the downs. Quite eventful, but you are so strong, I am sure you have carried on regardless. I have changed my username so may not be familiar. Hope you and the children are keeping well in these difficult times. KOKO Onit xx

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in