Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

90 year old grandfather told me today he and my nana had sex until they where 75!!!!!

(12 Posts)
lilymolly Mon 02-Jul-07 21:07:12

My nana died at xmas and has left my GF broken hearted, he is slowly getting over it, but still gets very sad.

I asked him today, what he thinks is the key to a long marriage/relationships, he replyed that compromise, sharing interests where extremely important. He then went on to tell me that a active love life is also important, and that they had a great sex life, but made a decision to stop having sex at 75 year old

I was amazed at this and told him that it was wonderful that they had this relationship.

As someone who does not really "do" sex, and does not enjoy it, It really got me thinking.
I was hoping to stop at about 50 ??

actually more like 40

what age do you think you will stop?

lilymolly Mon 02-Jul-07 21:26:11

anyone??

ratclare Mon 02-Jul-07 21:28:44

you dont 'do' sex ? why is that ? do you not enjoy it at all? I think to be frank that your grandfather isnt at all unusual from the conversations i have had with people in his age group ,as one elderly gentleman said arthritis limits the posistions ,but it still feels great!
what a shame that you feel that its something to be avoided ,how does your OH feel ,is he equally noncommittal about sex

teafortwoandtwofortea Mon 02-Jul-07 21:34:13

You don't have to stop having sex ever really - my job as a rheumatology OT sometime stretches to advisisng on good positions for arthritis.

I think it's more concerning to think that you are having sex when really you'd rather not - is it because you don't want to disappoint your OH?

ViciousSquirrelSpotter Mon 02-Jul-07 21:35:50

Why did they make a decision to stop having sex at 75?

It seems a little arbitrary

lilymolly Mon 02-Jul-07 21:36:22

dont get me wrong I think it is wonderful, but I was shocked, I really did not think that people had sex that old, shows how much I know!!

Yes I enjoy sex when I have it but have an almost zero sex drive, so we dont do it very often, had it twice last week but we where on holiday

lilymolly Mon 02-Jul-07 21:37:25

Did not ask why 75?, to be honest thought that was a bit too prying, but I do remember my nana having ill health. she had a brain annurysm, so it oculd have been that

DoubleBluff Mon 02-Jul-07 21:37:31

Fair play t ot ehm,, but I would hope not to be doing it at that age. Unless Brad Pitt finally does see sense and sweeps me off my feet"

lilymolly Mon 02-Jul-07 21:38:39

just realised that I had put in op that I did not enjoy sex, I do when I have it, its just that I dont really want to do it, but when I do it ok iyswim?

teafortwoandtwofortea Mon 02-Jul-07 21:41:34

It's one of those things people just don't like to think about. But people can reatin their need for sexual companionship until they're pretty old - all those old women that move in together because they're lonely, didn't you ever wonder?

lilymolly Mon 02-Jul-07 21:43:23

< lilymolly puts fingers in ears>

teafortwoandtwofortea Mon 02-Jul-07 21:44:42

- well you did ask!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now