Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Ex just confessed to something really bad!!!

(4 Posts)
lozzawoo Sat 23-Jun-07 01:23:18

We were together for 6-7 years and maybe the 7 year itch. He decided to tell me a week ago that he was diagnosed as a psychotic in 1992 but has got over this and laughed it off. I think this is serious and him not telling me after all this time. I have a 4 year old little boy too with him. Advice needed??

jules99 Sat 23-Jun-07 01:30:07

that term can mean all sorts of things and it was 15 years ago,

i can understand why after all the time you have been together it is hard to take on board but has he explained why he felt the need to tell you now and not before now?

many people have 'mental health' problems that come and go or come and never come back,

hope you are ok

mamama Sat 23-Jun-07 01:30:15

Did he tell you anything else about it?

Like how/ why he was diagnosed? How his psychosis manifests itself. It tends not to be something you just 'get over' although sometimes people have psychotic episodes. You can learn to live with it & it can be controlled to a certain extent with meds. It tends to be a symptom of a bigger illness though and can be caused by particular things. If I were in your shoes, I would want more info. How do you feel about what he said?

Have a look on the mind.org.uk website - they have lots of useful info about mental illness.

lozzawoo Sat 23-Jun-07 02:11:26

Thanks for the comments!! Yeah When I met him he was an alcoholic and was addicted to cannabis. He eventually kicked all the habits. But was put on medication to calm him down. I thought that would be enough. He does have tendancies of suicide when our son was born in 2003 but I never relised how bad it was until now. Psychosis he does have mood swings so I should of really realised but he is on no drugs or alcohol now and blames the cannabis for his mental state too. Just wish he had told me!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now