Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

have you/would you hire a private investigator?

(38 Posts)
vannah Thu 21-Jun-07 14:32:26

Because Im seriously thinking of doing it...

I have a very strong instinctive feeling that my DH is up to something. But having said that, Im also v insecure because of lies he has told in the past. Weve been married for 3 years, have a toddler and Im 4 months pg.

I suspect him of seeing someone at work, although its so hard to prove this. He works in a huge secondary school, he doesnt go out in the evenings, but he has started to come home an hour later everyday, and apparently there are lots of 'urgent' meetings going on during his lunch hours.
This is his second year in education, and Ive been in the job for 14, and now train teachers. I know for a fact that there arent THAT many meetings and things to do in lunch/after school. But, what he argues is that there's not much he can do in an hour - which is a fair point.

He doesnt want to speak to me on the phone anymore, so this makes me suspicious, and I discovered there was a very beautiful trainee teacher that worked at his school that he got friendly with but I cant find out any more details.

So I am plagued with anxiety. Im very seriously considering hiring a PI. Any experience of this out there?

thankyou

tiredemma Thu 21-Jun-07 14:33:40

Have you actually asked him outright?

CountessDracula Thu 21-Jun-07 14:34:07

how would a PI get into a school though?
Can't you just lurk about in shades and a hat and follow him yourself?

mylittlestar Thu 21-Jun-07 14:36:42

there is plenty you can do in an hour!!

that is a rubbish answer from him!

if his behaviour has recently changed, he's been untrustworthy in the past, and is refusing to call you to prove that he's not up to anything... then surely you know already there is a serious problem?

I think you need to consider what you would do if you find out the worst? Will you stick around and try to work it out or will that knowledge just tear you apart?

If you will stick with him no matter what, you don't need all the details. Confront him now, make him do whatever it takes to reassure you - and if he doesn't do that for you, then you will have your answer...

What a horrible situation to be in xx

mumto3girls Thu 21-Jun-07 14:38:25

Pop into school one day to see him?

mylittlestar Thu 21-Jun-07 14:40:39

good idea. pop in one lunch time when he says he's unavailable?

NoodleStroodle Thu 21-Jun-07 14:41:42

Did you a PI to find someone - scarily efficient!

BarbieLovesKen Thu 21-Jun-07 14:43:05

you poor pet. Hope your ok. Could you just ask him outright? - but I know, of course he is going to deny anything (if there is even anything to deny) hmm.. dont ask me how I know this but go to www.trackyourpartner.com and type in his mobile number - it will tell you where he is.

foxinsocks Thu 21-Jun-07 14:44:53

oh barbie, that's a bit cruel is it not!

mylittlestar Thu 21-Jun-07 14:45:43

barbie that's cruel

I just typed in my own number. Sadly that's not what I'm doing right now!!!!

foxinsocks Thu 21-Jun-07 14:46:27

I would turn up at the end of the day, when the children at school aren't around (easier to get around the school) and he's staying late. Pretend it's a surprise.

mother2b Thu 21-Jun-07 14:46:41

barbie

foxinsocks Thu 21-Jun-07 14:49:34

(I assume barbie didn't realise what that link was vannah)

bellabelly Thu 21-Jun-07 14:51:56

Barbie! I just typed in my own number too - am soooooo gullible!

bellabelly Thu 21-Jun-07 14:53:30

Vannah - I think hiring a PI will open up more problems than it could possibly solve. What does your gut instinct tell you? In my experience, your gut feeling is very rarely wrong...

BarbieLovesKen Thu 21-Jun-07 14:54:25

oops sorry - why is it cruel? - I mean, I do know exactly why it would be cruel but definately not a patch (cruelness wise) to hiring a PI, surely?

(p.s ive never done it! - the email was sent around work - supposed to be funny?) sorry!

BarbieLovesKen Thu 21-Jun-07 14:55:49

gullible? oh God, is it a prank or something? it wouldnt work on the computer here in work - doesnt have flash. One of the girls said it worked at home. Oh God, shit!! vannah so sorry if its something stupid!!

foxinsocks Thu 21-Jun-07 14:56:00

lol barbie, you numbnut, if you type in a number, it pretends to find it then focuses on a picture of a man and a woman pretending to shag each other

BarbieLovesKen Thu 21-Jun-07 14:58:07

oh my God!! I really am a numbnut! Jesus Vannah - I am so so so so so sorry!!! oh God, im mortified - swear I was told it actually worked. oh so sorry!!

foxinsocks Thu 21-Jun-07 14:59:09

lol

mylittlestar Thu 21-Jun-07 14:59:17

just meant cruel from the perspective that someone vulnerable could type in their husband's number and be scared to death of what they are about to find out...
I remember that feeling of my heart pounding when I found out things about H - it's not a nice feeling. And especially not if it ends in a joke...

But in the right context I agree it's funny.

Wouldn't say hiring a PI is cruel. Can't think of the best word. Having an affair is cruel. Doubting your husband due to past mistakes and wanting some answers, is fair enough, surely? PI may not be the best way to go about it though. Think the turning up at the school is the best idea...

mylittlestar Thu 21-Jun-07 14:59:54

lol barbie! I thought you knew what it was!

Glad I didn't have a massive go at you now!!

foxinsocks Thu 21-Jun-07 15:00:07

barbie, go and bash your work colleague on the head!

BarbieLovesKen Thu 21-Jun-07 15:02:42

MLS - I really wouldnt have blamed you if you had ripped me up!!

foxinsocks - yep, definately!!

Im still in a hole in the ground here.

So sorry!!

Wisteria Thu 21-Jun-07 15:08:56

Can't you just wait outside entrance to school at kicking out time and see if he leaves the building when he says he does?
Think PI might be a bit much costwise and difficult to explain away (unless you have own private funds).
It's horrid not to trust; but if you found out you were wrong would you trust him in the future anyway?
IME, once the trust has been broken it's very very hard to forgive and forget.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now