Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Marriage over, want H to leave but he refuses!

(4 Posts)
notmyrealMNname Thu 21-Jun-07 13:13:46

I am a regular poster but I don't want anyone on here who knows me to know this is me iyswim

I have been in my marriage for a number of years and I have DC. Have known H for 16 years altogether now.

Recently events have happened. I can't write about them because I haven't come to terms with them yet. Suffice to say I would say my marriage is over.

I want H to leave but he refuses. Its a Local Authority house in my name.

He refuses to accept that divorce is on the cards and thinks counselling would help.

I am just going through the motions for the DC at the moment, but I am desperately unhappy.

I just want him to go.

mother2b Thu 21-Jun-07 14:17:59

if house is in your name could you not just change the locks when hes at work?

mumblechum Thu 21-Jun-07 14:25:29

IME(divorce lawyer), once they receive the divorce petition, they tend to realise you're serious and start looking for other accom.

Find yourself a good divorce lawyer. The national website is

You may be entitiled to legal aid. Go to the Legal Services Commission website and complete the eligibility calculator.

Good luck.

elfsmum Thu 21-Jun-07 14:31:51

I am a housing person, if the tenancy is in your sole name he has no legal right to be there, so you can change the locks and refuse him entry.

Your landlord may also help you with this if there is domestic violence involved.

he may be able to approach your landlord and ask for alternative accommodation as a marriage breakdown, and may be offered a flat, depending on where you are.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: