Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

you know when you talk to someone on the phone and do not get the severity of the situation.... and laugh...

(42 Posts)
FioFio Wed 20-Jun-07 18:08:34

Message withdrawn

fryalot Wed 20-Jun-07 18:10:10

sometimes when we are in shock, we giggle inappropriately.

You should remember this when you discuss it again with him

Thank God he's ok, it sounds like it could have been quite nasty

ledodgy Wed 20-Jun-07 18:10:40

Yes he will tell him it was nervous laughter. Thank god he's ok!

harpsichordcuddler Wed 20-Jun-07 18:14:40

<snort>
you could say something like, well I was just so shocked by the thought of losing you I went temporarily insane??

harpsichordcuddler Wed 20-Jun-07 18:15:07

ooops sorry I should say
<concerned>

FioFio Wed 20-Jun-07 19:21:35

Message withdrawn

ConnorTraceptive Wed 20-Jun-07 20:05:45

I think the bit about the lorry driving off with the car and taxi driver still attached does conjure up a bit of a comedy image ( well i laughed at that bit )

He is obviously still in a bit of shock i'm sure he'll forgive you

gess Wed 20-Jun-07 20:35:03

oh god I do this all the time, then have to apologise. Poor dh, hope he is feeling less shaken up.

pampam Wed 20-Jun-07 22:27:15

I giggled when one of my school friends told me her mum had terminal cancer (we were 17), it was awful. I think it was the shock, we'd been friends since we were about 3 and I knew her mum really well. She forgave me though.

LynetteScavo Wed 20-Jun-07 22:32:16

There is something funny about it though. (I must admit I laughed when I read your post ).

Glad to hear your DH is alive!

ChristyC Wed 20-Jun-07 22:32:27

I'm really sorry, but this thread has really cheered me up. I'm glad he's O.K but I have just laughed out loud when reading it - definately the lorry driving off with the car and driver sounds too Benny Hill not to be funny - sorry!!

LynetteScavo Wed 20-Jun-07 22:33:47

Is the driver OK?

madamez Wed 20-Jun-07 22:40:51

It does happen. Last year I was discussing an upcoming festival with the promoter and she said something along the lines of "We've got a goth band playing - well it would have been two goth bands but the singer in the other one's just hung himself."
And I went "SNORT!"
Luckily for me the person in question wasn't someone the promoter had actually known well so she wasn't extra-traumatised by my reaction, but there was just something about the conjunction of "goth" with "hung himself" that was kind of absurd...

CountessDracula Thu 21-Jun-07 10:33:26

I think you should have snorted at the inappropriate use of "hung" personally

ForCodandUlster Thu 21-Jun-07 20:21:04

lol at you lol

unknownrebelbang Thu 21-Jun-07 20:24:27

Oh dear, I laughed at the bit about the lorry driving off too, and i'm not in shock.

He'll forgive you.

Hope he's ok.

Sakura Fri 22-Jun-07 04:31:22

Yes, I laughed reading this thread, and I have done it in real life too, often face to face . I recently met a lovely Australian girl. We live in a foreign country where you don`t see many "white" faces, so we started chatting. She told me she saw me with my daughter, and that she has a baby who was born 7 weeks premature, and she only saw him for a hour a day for the first month. I just kind of grinned.
But she didn`t say anything and we`re friends now, so she must have known it was a nervous grin. Looking back I think I`d prefer I did that rather than offer polite condolences that often ring hollow if you`ve never experienced something yourself.

Sakura Fri 22-Jun-07 04:48:54

Sorry, I just re-read my message and the way I said "white faces" makes me seem like a racist. God no, No its not that, my husband is from the country in question.

In context: I mean English-speaking foreigners from the UK, Australia or AMerica. There are sometimes Asian or Black native english speakers here, but they`re very few and far-between (I`ve never met any so far). So if I see a "white" person, which is a rarity, I can be pretty certain that they are from the above 3 countries and that I`ll be able to have a conversation with them.

Thats why I was mortified when I smiled when this woman told me her story. I thought, oh well, I`ve blown my chance of getting to know her.

kiskidee Fri 22-Jun-07 04:50:41

the bit about the taxi still hanging on was funny. i think he will see the humour in it himself when he gets over the shock of it all.

FioFio Fri 22-Jun-07 19:24:52

Message withdrawn

Walnutshell Fri 22-Jun-07 19:27:48

Oh no, I read your first and last posts and am giggling entirely inappropriately. Perhaps you can compliment him on the telling of his stories? He's obviously a funny guy.

Walnutshell Fri 22-Jun-07 19:28:01

And doesn't even know it!

kiskidee Fri 22-Jun-07 23:17:06

also laughed about your last post.

dh and his mates were robbed at gunpoint in Honduras when the taxi from the airport was shot at and forced to stop.

he didn't find it funny at the time but two wks later made up a witty repartee about it.

brimfull Fri 22-Jun-07 23:40:43

My db phoned me to convey the news that my father had fallen off the roof and was in A&E with a suspeceted broken back,I then thought it can't be serious because db is laughing so started chuckling (can't believe I did),turned out he was crying not laughing

Kaloo20 Fri 22-Jun-07 23:58:12

talk about laughing at inappropriate times. Years ago I collected my Mother from hospital after a gallbladder op and took her home, made a cuppa and switched on her tv.
We watched a "funny clips" type show that was so laugh out loud funny she was begging me to turn the TV off between hysterical 'tears running down cheeks' laughter.
I thought she was joking until she suddenly she doubled over - still laughing - and realised she'd literally split her side open.

We were back in hospital within 2 hours of leaving

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now