Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

if your fil was calling your child little (his dads name) how would u feel

(23 Posts)
thegardener Tue 19-Jun-07 13:25:44

Just wondering how you would feel if your fil was calling your ds little(father's name)

fannyannie Tue 19-Jun-07 13:26:35

wouldn't bother me TBH

saadia Tue 19-Jun-07 13:27:24

I don't think I'd mind.

beansprout Tue 19-Jun-07 13:27:36

Is he doing it because he doesn't like your ds's given name and is making a point? Or is it just affectionate?

Marmite Tue 19-Jun-07 13:28:08

Once - I wouldn't say anything, twice - starting to get a bit annoyed and would use DS's proper name straight after he says little DH, third time - would probably say something like - lets not confuse the poor wee man, fourth time

bundle Tue 19-Jun-07 13:28:37

things like this can really get to you when you have a new baby. i told dh to let fil know that I didn't like the nickname he gave to dd1 and he stopped calling her it

CorrieDale Tue 19-Jun-07 13:29:03

Don't think it would bother me either, although it depends on how old DS was at the time. Fine for a baby, but once he becomes old enough to have his own personality, I think I'd rather his own name were used. Unless of course it's just forgetfulness on FIL's part, when I'd just go with it and we'd all have a sympathetic smile when back at home.

WigWamBam Tue 19-Jun-07 13:29:10

Wouldn't bother me at all, if I thought it was being done in an affectionate way. I would probably just think that FIL was enjoying having a child around again, and that it was reminding him of when his son (your dh) was a little boy.

If, on the other hand, there were issues with the PIL, I'd probably start to wonder whether it was being done deliberately to wind me up!

VeniVidiVickiQV Tue 19-Jun-07 13:29:17

I wouldnt care at all.

I'd be upset if he was calling him "little shit" though.

fannyannie Tue 19-Jun-07 13:30:29

LOL VVV at "little shit"

VeniVidiVickiQV Tue 19-Jun-07 13:33:00

warthog Tue 19-Jun-07 13:40:16

wouldn't bother me initially, but not ok when he's older.

hatrick Tue 19-Jun-07 13:43:02

Message withdrawn

OrmIrian Tue 19-Jun-07 13:43:15

Not a problem.

Having said that I am starting to get fed up with DH's sisters and mother constantly saying that my DS#2 is the spit of DH when he was a baby! He isn't! DH was a weird looking baby and my beautiful DS#2 doesn't look like him at all. But I think that may refelct on the fact that DH (and his family) are starting to irritate me atm....

hana Tue 19-Jun-07 13:45:48

wouldn't bother me one bit
is quite nice when my mum or day refer to my kids as 'little hana'

WinkyWinkola Tue 19-Jun-07 21:50:09

It's a bit of a weird thing to do I think. The child has a name of his own. Why not use it? Bizarre. It would irritate me for sure.

TaylorsMummy Tue 19-Jun-07 21:54:54

isn't it just meant because he looks like him? it wouldn't bother me, unless i wasn't with the father anymore!! lol

katelyle Tue 19-Jun-07 22:01:25

This makes me sad - our ds was little Pat when his grandad was alive because grandad was big Pat. Every now and then we still call him lttle Pat withoug thinking and it's a very poignant moment.

PrettyCandles Tue 19-Jun-07 22:08:38

My sons are both the spit of their dad, and we often do, jokingly, call them LittleX, or MiniX - or even Mini-Me (from the Austin Powers films). I wouldn't care for it if it was all the time, but for occasional use I don't mind.

fireflyfairy2 Tue 19-Jun-07 22:12:41

Our ds is the double of my dh.

My mam calls him "Wee XXXX" [dh's name!] She means he is very like him, mannerisms & everything is the same as dh

I'm not offended!

In fact each time my mam & mil meet up they go on & on about how alike dh our ds is!

madamez Tue 19-Jun-07 23:09:54

Depends on how and why he's doing it. Is he senile? Starting to go senile? Is he trying to wind you up (ie do you not get on well with him in general)? It might just be affectionate and a bit of a family thing: some people love this sort of thing, others don't.

MilkMonitor Wed 20-Jun-07 19:53:51

Does he do it all the time or just occasionally? All the time would irk me.

DeviousDaffodil Wed 20-Jun-07 19:55:59

I think it is quite sweet, very affectionate.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: