Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Picturing someone naked?

(19 Posts)
Suzieq22 Fri 10-Aug-18 22:21:17

My DH came home last week and we were talking about his day. I don't know whether I'm being silly or not to be upset about this but he said he had a strange moment with a female colleague.

They work in an office and this woman was wearing a strappy top and he said it looked like she was naked behind her desk from where he sat. He said he didn't know why he said it, it just came out but it was in front of other people and I don't like the implication that he was thinking about her naked to a room full of colleagues, 6 men and 8 women

I know he finds her attractive from the way he said it and was even blushing embarrassed when telling me.

We've been together a long time and have three dc so I'm not worried on that point but hmm?!

Djnoun Fri 10-Aug-18 22:24:01

It doesn't sound even remotely like a big deal to me.

Suzieq22 Fri 10-Aug-18 22:25:45

It just seems a weird jump to make from vest top to naked unless he thought about her like that anyway

dirtybadger Fri 10-Aug-18 22:26:56

He saw her and said like "bloody hell I thought you were naked for a second there" (cue awkward laugh). And then told you about his blunder? Thinking someone is naked mistakenly isn't the same as picturing them naked. Ive thought people were naked (quick error in perception), but I didn't see or imagine their naked body (if that makes sense).

Or was he going on about it in the office or to you? If he was going on about it at work your problem is his creepiness.

EmmaC78 Fri 10-Aug-18 22:27:11

I'm with Djnoun.

Radiosheep Fri 10-Aug-18 22:30:27

I've seen people with flesh coloured tops on before and thought they weren't wearing anything too. Maybe the same? Maybe he blushed at remembering how embarrassed he felt after saying it?

Suzieq22 Fri 10-Aug-18 22:30:48

I don't know, hopefully I'm just being silly going by responses then. Something about it didn't sit right or if it was so nothing why he'd even mention it to me at all

booboo24 Fri 10-Aug-18 22:32:45

I thought the same about a guy who was wearing beige trousers the other day! I laughed about it and that was it. I also think it's absolutely nothing to worry about

Cricrichan Fri 10-Aug-18 22:33:49

I've had the odd double take when I thought someone was naked from what they were wearing. Doesn't mean anything

Suzieq22 Fri 10-Aug-18 22:39:31

OK obviously just silly insecurities my end then!

dirtybadger Fri 10-Aug-18 22:41:33

Sounds like he was just retelling a funny faux pas at work. He probably thought you would find it funny?

Howhot Fri 10-Aug-18 22:44:26

Yeah OP this is just you. It sounds like he said a silly comment and he told you about it. I don’t see the issue?

Karigan198 Fri 10-Aug-18 22:48:56

Have you never just glanced at someone wearing something flesh coloured and done a double take? I have and certainly didn’t fancy that one.

Giant leap to make just forget it

ItWasAlIADream Sat 11-Aug-18 01:32:30

such a non issue. I remember seeing someone wearing beige leggings (awful!) and I thought she was naked at first.

SumAndSubstance Sat 11-Aug-18 17:27:18

I thought Melania Trump was naked recently. She was wearing a jacket over what I eventually concluded was a flesh-coloured mini skirt and tights the same horrible colour. It was most disconcerting, but definitely not titillating and not the same thing as ‘picturing someone naked’. The only thing that is a bit odd about this is that he told you about it, but perhaps he felt embarrassed and was hoping you would tell him it was fine...?

MsHomeSlice Sat 11-Aug-18 17:42:47

i had a phase of seeing naked people a couple of years back...thought \i was going a bit doolally, but then realised they were all in varying types of those iffy nude skinny jeans that were all the rage

Thankfully everyone seems to have realised their error and we are all back to normal denim nowadays. grin

Neutral or naked?

PolytheneSam Sun 12-Aug-18 15:29:12

Djnoun smile

fearfultrill Sun 12-Aug-18 16:04:36

Surely if you can't see clothes on someone they look naked, woman at work or not? I can't understand why you would think anything of this, if I saw a woman at work with a strappy top on I would think she was naked at first glance too!

RainySeptember Sun 12-Aug-18 16:45:17

My adult dd was sitting opposite me at the bar last night. She had a vest top on but her hair was covering the straps and the top itself, with the way she was sitting, wasn't visible. I said 'it looks like you haven't got a top on' and we laughed about it, she sat up straighter, flicked her hair back, sorted. I honestly don't see how your dh did anything wrong at all op. In fact, I think it's lovely that he felt sufficiently guilty about it to tell you!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: