Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Mobile phone numbers & social media

(16 Posts)
Iwouldmarrythebeast Tue 17-Jul-18 00:55:50

I’ve met someone on Tinder and moved across to What’s App. We’ve been talking for nearly 6 weeks now and we were due to meet up but I wasn’t able to make it. However I can’t find any link to any social media account with his number - Facebook, Instagram, SC or LinkedIn. Is there anyway I can validate him with just his number? It almost feels like he doesn’t exist

tabularasa35 Tue 17-Jul-18 03:20:54

That is very sensible. I always try to find the person's online presence as well. Things I try:

- Google phone number/email address
- With a name and job title you can try your luck on linkedin
- Reverse search the images from his profile

If you have an area, name, job (I assume so after 6 weeks, try to put all that info together).

RedPill Tue 17-Jul-18 03:50:47

Just remember that not everyone is on social media and it doesn't always mean they are hiding something

Chippyway Tue 17-Jul-18 04:47:53

I don’t use my number for anything to do with social media. For this very reason grin

I understand why you want to check, I’d be doing the same. But I think you just need to meet. Sometimes longing it out is the worst thing you can do when you’ve not met each other. Just meet him and trust your instincts

Iwouldmarrythebeast Tue 17-Jul-18 07:51:05

I don’t know his surname but I know the village (small) he lives in and what he does for a job. I would just feel happier if I could find some tiny online presence!

FuckItPassMeTheWine Tue 17-Jul-18 11:47:54

Ask for his surname ! And make sure you tell a friend his full name and his mobile number , where you are going with him and what time you will be home.

Needless to say don’t put yourself in any vulnerable situations whilst just getting to know each other , this includes getting in his car alone. Safety first , always x

NotTheFordType Tue 17-Jul-18 12:22:43

If he's using Tinder then he has a facebook account (you still have to have a FB account to use Tinder, right? I haven't used it in ages)

I'd suspect he's using a burner phone which either indicates he's had problems with dating before and someone has got a bit stalky, or he's married.

Iwouldmarrythebeast Tue 17-Jul-18 12:34:58

I don’t think you need Facebook for Tinder now. He’s definitely single, he rings me most evenings and texts me in the morning. I’m just intrigued. I suspect he’s using a burner phone - he hides his time stamp on what’s app but the 2 grey ticks can stay grey for hours sometimes

AnaViaSalamanca Tue 17-Jul-18 13:10:55

Hmm you are very suspicious! Why is that? I also hide my read and last seen on whatsapp, and don't link my number to social media. DP doesn't have any social media account, not even linkedin!

What sort of info are you trying to dig up on this person? I am sure once you meet you can ask him? If after 6 weeks you are still not convinced he is a real person why do you continue?

hellsbellsmelons Tue 17-Jul-18 13:14:18

I make an absolute point of not having my phone number on any of my social media.
But it is how I look up people before I meet them.

Iwouldmarrythebeast Tue 17-Jul-18 14:56:58

I am suspicious but also intrigued at the same time! Probably not a good combination

Itwasntmehonest Tue 17-Jul-18 17:00:20

Have you got Facebook Messenger? I find that if I add a number to my phone's contacts, and I'm not already connected with that contact on Messenger, then when I go into 'people' on my messenger app, that they appear (obviously only if they're also on FB Messenger). You may be able to find him that way perhaps?

pisces7268 Tue 17-Jul-18 19:37:28

He might have a new phone and not updated details, but yes I'd want to see someone's fb before meeting. You can find out so much more about their life and if they are a real person or it.
Just tel him to add you on Facebook or Instagram and if he says no it's about dodgy x

AnaViaSalamanca Tue 17-Jul-18 20:23:46

It's amazing how people's views are different! If I were to meet someone and they asked to be added to my fb or insta it would be goodbye. Then again I never dated in the social media world so might not know.

OP I still suggest you ask your questions directly and get to know the man in person, rather than investing so much headspace in someone you haven't even met. If he is a genuine person he might get scared away!

pisces7268 Tue 17-Jul-18 20:29:55

Most people have hundreds of friends on Facebook so I don't see why adding someone you've been getting to know for 6 weeks would be a problem.
If it doesn't work out you can always delete them off there no harm done smile

Saffzy Tue 17-Jul-18 20:32:52

There's a website called "Pipl" which brings stuff up, you would need a surname though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: