Talk

Advanced search

Relationship views help

(24 Posts)
Leonalou Thu 21-Jun-18 01:23:43

Hi not done this before posting online. My hope is some good advice. I am seeing someone for the last few years. We are inlove. Very much so. We are contemplating living together and he is possibly going to live with me depending on him getting a job this way .one question he has brought up is about wether his grandchildren can stay with us as he lives near his son and his family and will miss seeing them. But i have a spare room i use as my studio room with one bed in it and my own daughters stay on the odd occasion in there when visiting , and to be honest I am not keen on his grandchildren staying with us. Its not what i want and have to lose my studio room. I am past looking after young children even for a sleep over and then spending a weekend with them will be too much. I am not selfish I just prefer him to go to see them rather than them coming here. Hes concerned they will want to see where hes gone which is fair enough. But he could get them and spend time with them for a day here and I would go out for the day.no sleep overs ! How do i put that to him. If this is the future i am going to get cold feet and not feel living together is a good idea !

Monty27 Thu 21-Jun-18 01:28:38

I wouldn't. No no no. He makes arrangements to see them even if it's Butlins iyswim.

Leonalou Thu 21-Jun-18 02:06:22

Thank you I found this stopped me in my tracks when he said that. Since then its made me think is he also having cold feet to move in with me and thought about how much hes going to miss his son and family more than he thought and saying that might make me see he cant move here .

Monty27 Thu 21-Jun-18 04:06:10

He wants to take over the house as if it is his. And it's bullying.

Soloooo Thu 21-Jun-18 04:10:00

If he moves in, it will be his home too. I think that’s mean of you. How often would he want them to stay?

Nottheduchessofcambridge Thu 21-Jun-18 04:22:36

Wow, mean. Like another poster said, it’ll be his home too. If you had grandchildren, would you let them stay? I know you’re past the small child stage but surely once in a while won’t hurt.

NeeChee Thu 21-Jun-18 04:56:47

Are the grandchildren very young? I would be tempted to compromise by letting them stay over, but insisting on keeping the spare room as your studio, i.e. they are a guest in there. It doesn't become "grandchild X or Y's room", it is still yours.
Are they old/sensible enough to be trusted not to interfere with your belongings when unsupervised?

ihatewineandsoaps Thu 21-Jun-18 05:27:51

Monty27 are you dumb? How the fuck is it bullying wanting his family to occasionally stay over at what will be HIS house too! If you don't like it OP don't let him move in simple but I think your out of order. It wouldn't be just your house and it would be for the odd night.

Jane1727 Thu 21-Jun-18 05:39:28

They are his family and it will be his home. YABU.

Sometimeitrains Thu 21-Jun-18 05:43:32

it would be his home too that is somewhat selfish. If you moved into his house and your daughter wanted to visit how would you feel if he said no.

Disquieted1 Thu 21-Jun-18 07:16:06

He is willing to move away from his son and grandchildren to be with you, the least you could do is compromise just a little.
If they're typical they won't stay very often, if at all. Embrace the proposal with open arms and a warm heart.

Nothisispatrick Thu 21-Jun-18 07:38:46

I am glad the replies started to see sense! YABU. If you move in together you are sharing a home, but it sounds like it will always be 'yours' and he lives with you. Of course he should be able to have his grandchildren visit, there must be a better compromise.

category12 Thu 21-Jun-18 07:42:40

Maybe you're better off not moving him in. You sound very protective of your space and he's a family man. Also, if he will need a job, are you really prepared to support him however long that takes?

Is there no option of getting a shared place together, perhaps in a compromise area closer to his family, where you'd see it more as "ours" than "yours"?

NC4Now Thu 21-Jun-18 07:44:48

So he moves away from his family to be with you and you don’t want them to come and stay? That doesn’t seem very kind.
Do you have any house guests, ever?
It’s perfectly normal to want to have family over. When you get together with someone, their family is part of the package in my eyes.

Maybe a new house that meets both your needs would be a better option?

HollowTalk Thu 21-Jun-18 07:50:56

How long has he been unemployed?

Butterymuffin Thu 21-Jun-18 08:06:01

It does seem a bit unfair to say your daughters will come to stay but you don't want his family ever to do that. Could you move somewhere bigger? What have you discussed in terms of what he will pay, house rules etc?

HollowTalk Thu 21-Jun-18 08:27:16

Sorry, I read it that he was unemployed and looking for work, rather than looking for work in your area.

How far do you live from him now?

MagentaRocks Thu 21-Jun-18 08:38:20

How on Earth is it bullying? He has asked if his grandchildren can come a stay sometimes. I don’t think it is a too big an ask for him to want his family to visit from time to time. Yes having people to stay is an upheaval sometimes. We have my MIL staying for a week and have had to change our routine to fit in with her but it is a weeks visit and lovely to have her to stay. Although I am looking forward to getting back to normal when she goes it doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy the visit.

ThingsThatMakeUGoHmmm Thu 21-Jun-18 10:34:12

Good grief! If he's moving in with you 'forever' then it becomes his home too. In my opinion he doesn't need permission from you.

A friend of mine moved in with his girlfriend and her teenaged daughters. She wouldn't let him have photos of his daughter on the wall and he wasn't allowed to sit in her daughters' spaces on the sofa. He split up with her after a few months (good for him).

shiklah Thu 21-Jun-18 10:35:56

I don’t think you should live together as you both want to be able to have family stay in your own home and you are not willing to compromise.

Cricrichan Thu 21-Jun-18 10:51:15

You're being ridiculous! It's reasonable that he wants his family to visit and stay over, especially if he's moved away.

SuperSuperSuper Thu 21-Jun-18 11:13:44

You want a live-in boyfriend but without the stuff that comes with it. You're better off leaving things as they are. Or end it. Don't move him in and treat him like the mildly irritating lodger though, that would be awful.

ItDoesMyHeadIn Thu 21-Jun-18 11:23:05

I get where you're coming from OP it's obvious you're not child friendly and neither am I - far from it.

I'm currently seeing someone who has 3 children and although we're nowhere near the stage of me meeting them, I know if it comes to that in the future I'm going to have to try REALLY hard to deal with it.

Relationships are about compromise, you're rarely just taking on one person. You take on their families too and if this man has grandkids it's totally normal for him to want them staying over now and then.

If you love him so much can't you put yourself out once every few months?

stevesmithsmum Thu 21-Jun-18 11:30:02

He wants to take over the house as if it is his. And it's bullying.

Don’t be ridiculous. My take on this is when you share a house with a loved one, you both share the privileges.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: